DVLA

Dai Fledermaus

On the 30th March we part exchanged a car for a new Citroen at a local dealership. The following day we posted the change of ownership slip from the V5 to the DVLA in Swansea by first class post.

Meanwhile, the dealer, had sold on to someone else. Yesterday we received a parking fine of £100.00 for parking said car at Penarth Marina without a permit on the 6th April.

I've written to the parking company concerned and contacted the dealer, so hopefully it can be sorted, but in this day and age of computers it's easy to assume that the DVLA handle a simple change of owner much faster than this. I guess in the end it's all comes down to someone manually inputting these details into their system.

Advert

It is hard to understand at times in this day and age of instantaneous information that sometimes it still takes a body at a desk groaning with paperwork to get something changed.

As long as you have the counterpart or a receipt from the dealer then you've no need to worry.

Edited By John F on 14/04/2015 12:39:50

I assure you that the DVLA cannot do things faster. I had to renew my driving licence at the end of February. They received the renewal on 15th February and started processing it on 28th Feb. I got the licence back on 1st week of April. They justify this by saying that so long as they have received the renewal application by the due date there is a provision in law which says I can drive a car in the interim period.

So long as you can establish that the DVLA had the change of ownership document 'tear off' before the date of the parking ticket, I don't believe you are liable. Check the DVLA website, there are lots of pages there to answer queries. There is also an 0345 number to contact them. Don't hold your breath whilst waiting for a reply however. The only thing I would have done differently is to have posted it on a "Signed For" basis

I bought a car which had beenwritten off as uneconomical to repair. Someone had tried to steal it and snappped off the top of the steering column/ £ 20 bought me a second hand column and half an hours work had it in stalled.Then insured mot'dd went to Chester to tax it paying the extra £25 required which covered the vin check which I had to pay £18 for on the day although I had already paid the £25. I was told I could claim the £18 back. That is another long story but got it in the end. The point is that a few weeks later I had a few friends in the car on the way to an opera rehearsal and was pulled in by a crew with an NPR camera. Usual is this your car business. And the car isn't recognised by the camera showed the insurance and MOT cert which was still in the glove box. He flaggedup the camera computer which showed nowt He said O;K; sir it must be a glitch and waved me off. Two days later I was told in a letter to report for a V.IN> test . I rang up the VOSN station and told them I had had it done and read them the required numbers and theytold me to forget it This happened twice more before I got it stopped. So DVLA don't seem to be able to do anything quickly or even get it rights a bit out of the ordinary The thing is how would I fare now in the same situation without a tax disc to show. Keep all my documents in the car ( risky ) or what ? The £18 ? 12 months and tons of paper and phone calls later to get it

Don't know about car registration matters with DVLA but if you have any dealings with the driving licence side of things, I was advised (and it bore out too) that if you write they look at it in 3 weeks, if you email they pick it up in 3 days. If you ring up it is instant -but you are talking to a brick wall that will sympathise but get you nowhere, and they will not put you through to someone who makes decisions. I was told by a telephone advisor that their medical doctor was extremely busy, and he worked 20 hours a week. My question as to why he didn't work full time and perhaps he wouldn't be so overloaded seemed to be unanswerable. It also became apparent that the medical doctor was only there to pass the details onto a medical panel that sat once a month -who then decide to request yet another report from your doctor.

For me it took 10 months to sort out an issue (that wasn't actually an issue) that they claim to sort out in a maximum time of 12 weeks. To rant further they told me on 2 occasions that it would take at least 12 weeks to assess a report after they received it (consisting of 5 or 6 lines) -when I politely asked if at least 12 months meant it could be 12 months or 12 years they thought I was being obstructive. Apologies to anyone who bothers to read this.

Stuff does seem to take time to work it's way through DVLA

Received the V5C yesterday for a car I bought on 11/03, but that same doc has yet to appear for a cheap runabout purchased for wife/son a good three weeks before that

Dai,

I had exactly the same thing happen to me some years ago, and like you I had sent off the tear off section plus I had the receipt from the dealer to say that they had bought my bike.

A couple of weeks later I got a parking fine from Tenby. I posted off a copy of the receipt with a covering letter and no more was heard.

Regards

Robert

Posted by ted hughes on 15/04/2015 01:13:38:

Actually, the system is much simpler now.

It is all done online.

When you buy a second hand car, you let the dvla know.

They credit the seller, and you buy new cover.

You can buy the new tax online, and yes it is a simple system; however other parts of the system aren't quite so quick and simple.

The law now says that a new owner must tax a car before driving it away; however even if the new owner didn't tax the car at time of purchase any check would show the car as currently taxed because it needs the V5C to be processed by the DVLA before any changes are made to the vehicle record. 

The system to start the paper trail (to issue a new V5 to the new owner and to credit the seller with their refund of road tax) can only start when the DVLA receive the V5C from the seller. There is no electronic option for this, the V5C can only be sent to DVLA by post. It is in the hands of the seller how quickly they send the V5C to DVLA, it is then in the hands of the postal service to deliver it and finally it is in the hands of the DVLA how quickly they process the V5C once they receive it.

It is curious and confusing mix of a new high speed high tech system with old fashioned paper and snail mail system. According to the DVLA website issuing a new V5 can take between 2-4 weeks from the time they receive the V5C, other forms relating to vehicle tax can take up to 6 weeks to process. It's also interesting to note the DVLA no longer refer to VED (vehicle excise duty), they now just refer to it as vehicle tax.

And before the dust even begins to settle on the confusion around the withdrawal of the the paper tax disc and associated changes we have the withdrawal of the paper driving licence to look forward to in June !!

Edited By avtur on 15/04/2015 03:30:49

Posted by avtur on 15/04/2015 03:21

And before the dust even begins to settle on the confusion around the withdrawal of the the paper tax disc and associated changes we have the withdrawal of the paper driving licence to look forward to in June !!

Edited By avtur on 15/04/2015 03:30:49

To be quite clear on this, it is only the paper part of the photo licences that is being scrapped. If you have one of the green paper licences (issued prior to 1998), then this is still valid, and should still be used until it either expires (when you reach 70), or any of the details need updating, at which point you will be issued with a new photo licence.

As I understand it, if I were to buy a car that still had valid tax on it by the previous owner, I still need to re-tax it myself before driving it away i.e a double whammy payment to the government.

How on earth has anyone in government sat down and thought to themselves that doubling up on duty is fair? Imagine buying a bottle of wine as a present for somebody and then the recipient of the wine being required to pay alcohol duty again! Yet another rip off for those of us who do play by the rules...............

Edited By Cuban8 on 15/04/2015 07:38:58

Posted by Cuban8 on 15/04/2015 07:38:19:

As I understand it, if I were to buy a car that still had valid tax on it by the previous owner, I still need to re-tax it myself before driving it away i.e a double whammy payment to the government.

How on earth has anyone in government sat down and thought to themselves that doubling up on duty is fair? Imagine buying a bottle of wine as a present for somebody and then the recipient of the wine being required to pay alcohol duty again! Yet another rip off for those of us who do play by the rules...............

Edited By Cuban8 on 15/04/2015 07:38:58

Absolutely right, and it stinks.

If you bought a car today April 15th, the previous owner would only get the proportion of tax from May 1st onwards refunded but you then have to pay the full rate from 1st April

As a postscript,

Yesterday we received three letters from the DVLA. One was a reminder the " Last Chance" to either tax the car, or declare a SORN. The others were an acknowledgement that they had updated their records and my wife was no longer the registered keeper, one in English and the other in Welsh. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 21/04/2015 09:05:53