Foam model recover required.

Phil May

Morning all.

I'm after some advice regarding recovering my old Phoenix BAE Hawk sloper.

At the moment the wing is covered in an iron on type covering in pretty good condition but the fuz is in c.w tape and coloured parcel tape which is rather taty.

This is how it was covered when I bought it a couple of years back.

I'm absolutely usless with iron on covering and so was thinking of following the brown paper and pva method that Mark used on the Vulcan I've just bought....this finish is great and was just wondering one thing, what is the durability of this covering long term?

Many thanks

Phil

reckon its an EPP wing with a spruce spar. same as my Phoenix MB339.**LINK**

mine is looking tatty too, but to get the profilm to stick to the cross weave tape I had to spray the model in 3m77 sparymount first. - this worked, but has made the covering film a nightmare to get off - so im leaving it as is.

- don't suppose anyone knows a good way to strip covering film off in this circumstance?

Stripping off tape stuck down to foam with contact adhesive :

A few years ago I had to repair a wing which was in half, a Stan Yeo 'Synergy' flat aileron wing - it was in half after a mid-air 60" epp racing accident. Stan gave me a tip: weight the wing down to hold it still, and with the use of a hot air gun slowly and carefully warm up the tape and peel off. Make sure it doesn't get to warm up to much and get hot - and melt the foam, do this by working on a small area at a time and gauge the temperature by the feel of your finger tips pulling off the tape.

It worked and the wing was repaired and re-taped up.

The Hawk Phil I believe has a ply fuselage inners so a finish in brown paper would work and be supported with the ply underneath. However good finishes can be had with cross-weave and coloured film on top and more permanent and stronger than brown paper.

The Synergy with a dihedral wing on

marcus synergy glider when not sloping power pod  os15 ic.jpg  pmp synergy and sas ace.jpg

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 03/05/2015 11:05:17

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 03/05/2015 11:06:55