Printing plans

Advert

Hi Phil, Achitects make use of print shops which often have large scale printers. Most large towns have at least one. Also, they will alter the scale of drawings..I have a Fokker D V111 that was enlarged to 1/4 scale from a three view in a book. problem is that the lines get thick, so if you want to be accurate, you will need to trace it.

ernie

talk to kallkwik or prontaprint. They will probably have to send the file away, or will give you an email address to send it to. Ask them to check a couple of dimensions, at least wing tip to wing tip and firewall to fin, also don't be suprised if the file you have is a scan of a photo of a photo of a scan, eg it may already not be quite the right shape. So measure carefully side to side looking for inconsistencies. One last thing check the plan is out of copyright

I use my local Prontaprint. I email them a pdf file & they do the necessary & print it out; I wander in a few hours later & collect it. Cost is about a fiver.

Two things....check that the plan is dimensionally accurate by which I mean 1" on the plan really is 1"....some file manipulation can alter this so that 1" on the plan is really 0.8" (no, don't ask me how I know.....). A lot of downloaded plans have a "ruler" that you can measure to check they are correct.

Second....putting the plan face down on your wood & ironing it transfers a copy to the wood very nicely...use a hot (cotton/linen) setting & make sure the wife isn't looking when you sneak the iron into the shed!!!

• 2 weeks later...
 use Isiplot it lets you scale plans, and prints out on A4 with alignment marks, I think its free to try and 10 Euros for a license.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I use  Tileprint which is about the same thing, has one or two glitches working with XP but does a great job and is very accurate to the crop marks, saves a lot of money at the local reprographics shop and pays for itself with the first job,

I stick the bits together with Pritstik and if the crop marks are too close to the edge on both sheets just cut a piece of 1'' wide paper and stick this under one sheet edge then stick the other sheet down onto that,

regards            Terry