30cc equivalent electric set up

Replacing my written off Global Sbach with a Hobbyking Edge which was in the recent sale at a price too good to miss. I could use my DLE 30 but would like to try an electric set up. I've trawled through the various forums but most suggest motors and esc's not available this side of the pond. Anyone done a conversion using reasonably sensible priced parts? I' d like to limit the lipos to 8S (2x4S) but haven't ruled out 10S. Estimated weight is about 12lbs.

Advert

I'm running this with an 8s (2 x 4s) 5,000 mah lipos and a 75A ESC and a 18 x 12 prop, on a fresh battery it pulls 75 amps at WOT, about 1800 watts or about 2.4 hp, the motor and batteries would take a larger prop, but we'd need to up the ESC. This combo is in our Ampley electric tug (6kg) and it will take that vertical and has no problems towing a 4m glider.

Our ESC is a castle creations one, because that's what we had. If you are buying new, then go for a 100 amp esc and make sure it can handle high cell counts (the cheaper ones stop at 4 or 6s)

My Carl Goldberg Sukhoi SU26 weighs in at 11lb 15oz and flew on 12S with a Hyperion ZS-4045/12 motor, HobbyWing Platinum 120HV ESC, and 16x10 APC E prop giving 2540 watts. I replaced the motor with a Hacker A60-L/16 and an 18x10 prop, giving 1910 watts, because the Hyperion motor's shaft bent too easily.

I chose 12S because I have 6S packs for my helis. My amps are only 40-45, so you could easily generate similar watts using 10S and more amps, provided the model can take a larger prop.

This motor

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__38053__Turnigy_Aerodrive_SK3_6364_213kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor_UK_Warehouse_.html

and this ESC

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__29665__Turnigy_dlux_80A_HV_Brushless_Speed_Controller_OPTO_UK_Warehouse_.html

Use either 10 or 12S

12S for lower current draw (for same KW) but higher RPM

Weight and size will be a deciding factor for which batteries to use.

All my battery packs are 4 and 6S (3000mah) this gives me 6, 8, 10, 12S combinations.

Would be very surprised if 8S would give the required power as a 30cc engine would.