Plight of the sandwich method

I am sure I cannot be the only one who has experienced this fact

When the wing shape calls for double taper, from plans, and the sandwich method is used, we end up with with each rib having a taper on each rib width wise. This can be very acute, particularly cord wise, if the wing is going to be sheeted there is hardly any wood to glue onto, plus the fact that the dimensions may not be correct. This is very pronounced if the ribs are 1/8" thick.

Do we draw the outline of each one and redo???

What is the secret??? dont know

Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 25/05/2015 21:18:23

Advert

rib taper 003.jpgKC, JRman, here is a pic for a better explaination, it is just a bit of scrap, but ya can get the idea

position A is the finished rib profile, if one sands down to make the edge square, the profile then moves to position B (appox). The rib now is either short and/or narrow

As mentioned before, if one draws around the finished rib (taper and all), and cut another one,

the size would be somewhere near correct

Cheers

rib taper 002.jpg

Perhaps this is a better example:-

the rib drawing is drawn to scale....1/8" thick x 12" root and 6" tip, this could be the platform for a delta, and a pack of 12, only the ft half is shown, as ya can see at least 1/8" is "lost " if the rib is squared off

Martin I agree that over sizing the templates would alleviate the problem, but if one cuts the template to the plan shown, using the "sandwich method", the outcome platform will be incorrect , but at least this should be highlighted

Barry

rib 001.jpg

Edited By A.A. Barry on 27/05/2015 02:05:31

I cut the ribs for my Hawk model using the sandwich method. I left one rib out to compensate for the using the tip and root ribs to sand the profile too. Something I did not do, but is mentioned in my old Harry Higley's Master Modeling book is to use these tapered ribs as a pattern on another sheet of balsa for the actual ribs. This eliminates the problem of the minimum gluing surface on the rib edge.

Jim

I think I would tackle this as follows:-

sandwich eleven blanks (W2 - W12) between the two templates and shape to this red line.

ribs.jpg

Then use the W1 template to cut a separate W1.

The separated sandwich ribs can now be squared up, as kc says.

You should now have a set of ribs to the correct length ready for a final light sanding after assembly to achieve the correct angle for maximum glueing area.

Posted by Jim Purcha on 27/05/2015 04:32:42:

I cut the ribs for my Hawk model using the sandwich method. I left one rib out to compensate for the using the tip and root ribs to sand the profile too. Something I did not do, but is mentioned in my old Harry Higley's Master Modeling book is to use these tapered ribs as a pattern on another sheet of balsa for the actual ribs. This eliminates the problem of the minimum gluing surface on the rib edge.

Jim

Actually leave out an extra rib for the tip and the root. So if you need 12 ribs in all counting the tip and root, only 10 should be sandwiched between.

p1040634.jpg

p1040600.jpg

Edited By Jim Purcha on 27/05/2015 12:03:03