Hi Douglas, my foamy version used 1mm / 3mm reflex depending on the C.G. Pitch set at +/- 9mm and roll set at +/- 9mm as a starting point, measured at the t.e. then adjust to suit your flying style.

My foamy has done well over 100 flights, the wooden one about 15. Take a look at my photo album for the flying shots.  In the topic "Pics from your free RCM&E plan build" page 15 and 16, you'll find two more examples.

Regards

Ron

Edited By ron evans on 03/06/2015 23:51:23

Mine, as yet unfinished due to being away and then illness, is going profile, KF, and EPP.

It'll be finished lightweight carbon strip stiffened probably with a 250w plus hot wound 2212-6, pushing a 6x4 or possibly a 7x5 Speed from a 40A ESC and 1300mAh 40C 3S, which is pretty much a "standard" for many of my small EPP wings.

Whatever, it won't live up to its full size nickname "Gutless Cutlass"...............

Hi Ron,

Thanks for that info, mine is all balsa, just awaiting some paint. Did my third Pushycat Satin black with flouro red trim & flouro Green on the Bottom. It made it very easy to see believe it or not. Did you incorporate the 2 degs of downthrust as stated in the build article?May also do this Satin Black. Will post pics on completion.

Douglas

Hi Douglas

When I did the foamy one it had 3mm of reflex due to the slightly forward C.G. but would pitch on full power,so I added a couple of degrees of downthrust which helped a lot. I then gradually moved the C.G. back until there was no pitch up at all with power, and like this there was no reflex on the elevons.

After a while I found the neutral pitch stability a bit tiring so moved the C.G. slightly forward and now it has a slight climb under power which suits me better. At either C.G. settings the stall was a non event. On the glide, feeding in full up the model comes down nose high almost vertically,( the full size could do this too ) then adding some power it will do a circuit with full up held in. It's the low speed bit I enjoy the most with this model.

When Nigel did the balsa version he raised the thrustline and used downthrust, which all helps.

Ron

Hi Douglas

Yes I would set the elevons up 2mm measured at the t.e.with the c.g. as plan. Hopefully it should climb from launch, to allow you to trim it out. I always launch power off to save me fingers, and I would suggest getting someone to launch for you for your first flights....good to have fingers on sticks just in case. How about a pic of your model?

Good luck with the maiden yes

Ron.

Hi Ron,

Had the maiden flight this week , I fitted a 2200 kv motor with a 7x5 prop, I had to remove the reflex and now its awesome, not for the faint hearted at full throttle, I ease off the power after launch which makes it more easier to see ( old age & eyesight ) but its a great model to fly.

Not took pics yet but will post some soon, Cheers

Douglas

PS , I sprayed it satin Black with floro red trim on top & floro yellow trim on the bottom which makes it very easy to see.

Well done Douglas, that colour scheme looks to be real HI- VIZ, just right for senior pilotscheeky.My eyes first saw the light of day the same year as the prototype Cutlass flew, '48 , so I need all the help I can get !

Look forward to the pics.

Ron.

Edited By ron evans on 17/06/2015 18:09:22

• 5 years later...

Just been reading Eric Brown's Wings of the navy. His view of the Cutlass was rather poor it being underpowered, and had control and stability problems at both normal speeds along with being critical with regards speed control for a deck landing. His conclusion was the Cutlass was not a pleasant aircraft to fly and in his book it looked ugly, flew badly, and was a menace any where near a carrier deck.

Still as a cartoon model it will be fine, after all it does not need to land on a carrier deck.laugh

There was at one time [70's 80's ] a large model [ for the time ] of the Cutlass available, displayed in the add by a scantily clad lady as was the way at the time. I never saw one fly, anyone remember it ?