Iron temperature settings

Stevo

I've never done this with a scientific or engineering approach, just gone in gungho and ironed the covering on!

I read the Oracover bumph, with low = 90, mid = 130 and high = 150. I then bought one of these...

From Maplin... highly recommended! Needs a dust cover over the business end though. I then calibrated the sealing iron.. and believe me, the low, mid and high settings were no where near where I thought they should be...

Edited By Stevo on 20/06/2015 17:04:10

Advert

Hi Stevo . Use the rule of thumb method !

!,Turn on iron and allow to warm up .

2, Put thumb on iron to see if its hot enough no.

3, If you can hold thumb on iron its too cool wink. If it's B***** hot but doesn't blister its probably OKsmiley .If thumb singes followed by smoke and a scream --- its too hot angry.

This method is free at point of use , so if the medical treatment from your local minor injuries unit. Only try this at your own risk ! No responsibility will be taken for loose or burnt covering to model or thumb .Please ask family taxi driver before attempting this checking they are available for a drive to MIU.

Hi Stevo. Not messing about now .I'm sure you already know all of this but it might help any newcomers with their first attempts at covering . I find I only really use my covering iron for tacking and fitting the covering apart from compound curves where I use the hot air gun . I only tack around the edges When I'm happy with the fit I then iron down the edges firmly. When the panel is covered all over, ie top and bottom ,I then shrink the whole lot with the hot air gun. Just keep the gun moving so as not to overheat one spot ,especially important if using a light weight covering or solar film original, light span etc. Another tip when covering a light weight structure like a twisty wing is hold it straight or hold in washout as required when shrinking .When happy with the the result use the iron again and iron all the ribs and spars that touch the covering , this fixes the covering to the structure and stiffens the whole panel . Also make holes in the ribs etc before covering to allow hot expanded air to escape so as not to cause the film to bulge a it will then sag when it cools .