Luscombe 8E Silvaire

I sort of inherited this part built from a late club members estate for a small donation to the local air ambulance fund and I thought it'd be a good subject for my 1st ever proper scale build, it does have some issues but I'm quietly confident I can lick it into some sort of acceptable shape.

Specs 80" span, expected AUW 7lbs, Engine 46 - 53, Designer Mike Lovell, plans published by Model Activity Press Herts. for Aviation modeller international.

That should date it for those of you who know that mag !! me I'd be guessing !!

This is as I got her so most of it there less the rudder, plus the plans, a set of wheels and all the card templates pre cut.

silvair build 001.jpg

Scratching my head a little I found this and a few other pics of the real thing so I have some form of reference and this colour scheme is one I'm confident I can reproduce pretty closely

2006188.jpg

So where to start, well the most glaring scale discrepancy is the fuse area under and behind the fin, simply there shouldn't be any so that got chopped straight of and a little beefing up see's me with something that although isn't perfect, is a lot closer

silvair build 008.jpg

the fuse actually protruded under the rudder, prob to protect it I'd say but with a good beefy steerable tail wheel I can't see a problem.

The next thing that actually offended my untrained eye was this

silvair build 002.jpg

So brazing torch and 55% ag silver solder at the ready and it was speedily rectified

silvair build 004.jpg

Followed by some fairing

silvair build 009.jpg

Now that I'm a lot happier with.

Now a start has been made I need to source an engine, I'm sort of looking for an ASP 61 FS and if I can find one with a good petrol conversion so much the better, if not then a good on board intelligent glow driver will be fitted

Edited By Phil Winks on 21/06/2015 22:08:45

Advert

Hello Bob me auld mucker good to hear from you again, was thinking of you the other day when I gave little slo-mo-shun a rare outing, she still rips the water up nicely.

Peter thanks for the offer I do have some quite detailed pics but if I'm struggling on any scale points I will give you a call yes