Miles Magister 68

That's really looking the part Dave and coming along fast. As far as adhesive is concerned, I'm finding the Deluxe Materials Foam Free Adhesive to be certainly as good as UHU Pore and perhaps slightly better. I'm using them side by side on the XB42 build so can make a comparison. I got mine from Steve Webb when I bought my current stash of Depron from there. I am surprised that it doesn't get mentioned more often.

Am I am the only one that finds "foam friendly" Cyano is slow to set on Depron and actually does attack it when used with a kicker?

(This is me awake at 04-00 in Vancouver, I'm very slow at adjusting to time zones).

Not tried the Deluxe Materials Foam Free - but when I compare prices between it and UHU Por - I think I will be sticking to UHU (10 pack from "omghowcheap" on flea back works out at £2.99 per 50ml.

I find CA a very variable feast, I tend to stick to the pound shop varieties - some turn Depron into modern art, some are fine, but its quite slow to take - I think its because there is no natural moisture in Depron

Enjoy Canada and your seaplane jaunts (he says through gritted teeeth!)

I've never tried to buy Por on EBay, good point. To be honest, I haven't put price first on adhesives, but when there is a big difference you can't ignore it. I'll continue to have some of the Deluxe glue as well though, I think it takes more quickly than the Por and that's useful when there is some tension in the joint, as you can get in a curve. Also when I can I'll always support a British manufacturer if its' realistic to do so.

I hope you don't mind me sharing the photos, they're from the IPhone, so not perfect. I forgot to bring the cable to download from the Nikon, so they'll have to wait until I get home.

I have used Gorilla Glue for internal structural strength as I like the way it expanded. But found that Evo-Stik do the same type, (polyurethane glue that expands with moisture/water), much cheaper, but comes in a cartridge, so a cartridge gun is needed. But even that comes in handy if doing large runs.

**LINK** Evo-Stik Polyurethane

Edited By eflightray on 05/07/2015 19:55:21

On we plod......

The tedious job of making a template for the cockpit coming completed in 3mm depron, then transfered to 1mm ply, 20 mins slaving over a boiling kettle to get the curve embedded in the ply, a wee bit of fettling to get a reasonable fit, a smear of three of Gorilla Glue over all the mating surfaces then slap it on and plaster all the join lines with masking tape to stop the glue expanding where I dont want it to go..... then wait, nervously to see if the tape has held the glue expansion in check and whether the residual spring in the ply would ping the joints....

Phew, phew and thrice phew.....

Out with the trusty Dremel and 4oz of sawdust later we have......

021.jpg

A few gaps showing but nothing a bucket of polyfilla wont cure wink

Trial fit of fuselage, home made motor stand offs, cowl and spinner....

tuesday morning 001.jpg

Spinner isnt the exact shape or size, but it will have to do for now untill I can find one thats 4mm larger and less pointy in ali......

Upto 640g with the motor ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16231 )

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 07/07/2015 09:07:41

Posted by Percy Verance on 07/07/2015 15:52:08:

Assuming you get one in the right size, could't the excessively pointy bit be machined down Dave?

A chap whom used to fly with us sometimes used spinners he'd turned from wood on his scale leccy jobs..... They worked for him Dave, so I guess that's an alternative?

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/07/2015 15:55:30

That spinner is a Graupner one the walls are about 2mm thick so not a lot of scope for reducing it

I had looked through the forums for "home made spinners" but havent plucked up the courage to try!!!

Not so much done over the last few days..... but started the sand, fill, sand, fill,sand, dig finer nail in, curse, fill, sand routine on the fuselage

I want to get it a little more ding proof before I go much further!

Added a little yellow (of a quite disgusting shade) to the PU varnish to start building up a yellow colour so (hopefully) I need less top coat on it

sunday 019.jpg

Nice!. Don't forget to make the surface flawless for the cowl to get a chance of a good finish on the ally leaf.

I've just been painting the parts of a pattern for a 1/32nd scale Dragon Rapide kit and the wind blew the spray everywhere! I also got pips of dirt on it. Thankfully some 800 grit used wet (a bit of spit!) got rid of it all. And that's with scale rib taping and some hideously tiny details!

It's just a case of application, mate. You'll get there. Such a nice 'plane to do.

Cheers,

MrTin

I am painting all the yellow before adding the cowl layer (it has to stand slightly proud of the fus) - which is why the front end is still tatty!

Once the yellow is done then some 2mm Depron feathered down to 1mm will be applied round the nose following the scale cowl lines suitably altered to match my battery hatch!

Then that can be sealed and smoother then gilded (maybe!)

Had you considered either litho plate or (better still) malleable ally? The latter can be pressed round almost any shape, it's so soft. A friend of mine even made the front section behind the prop. with it on his 1/4 scale scratch built Tiger Moth.

I could send you some if you PM me, just for a try out for future use.

Cheers,

MrTin

Colin, any non-ferrous stock holder should have some, but I got mine from an air con. ducting contractor who happens to be in the next village and likes to sup with the locals. He gave me a small roll of it.

Sorry I can't be too specific.

Cheers,

MrTin

Slowly chipping away at things..... Horizontal Stab, elevators, anti spin strakes and fin fitted, rudder dry fitted - cowl side cheeks added and feathered in

strakes and fin have only had one coat of paint so far so still a bit off colour - abandoned the rattle can idea and gone back to B&Q Emulsion (Valspar "Kernel of truth" is the colour - I know dont ask me why they gave trainer yellow such a daft name!)

Gilding set arrived..... so had to give it a go, definately holds promise (and I havent yet done any burnishing on it) but I think its a case of lack of skill rather than the material) but certainly looks like Ali (well it is so it should!)

Judge for yourself!!! Kit cost £25 from Wrights of Lymm ltd and I rekon there is enough leaf in there for the whole damm plane!

tuesday 001.jpg

tuesday 002.jpg

tuesday 003.jpg

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 21/07/2015 12:35:11

Oh, Lor! That looks more creased than Kit-Kat wrappers! Shouldn't it come pristine if it's called leaf?

Wrights of Lymm, eh? The last place a chap can buy sign writing and graining supplies from AND the books to tell you how to do it.

BTW, Dave, your wee parcel goes this afternoon.

Cheers,

MrTin

Edited By Foxfan on 21/07/2015 12:40:12