Miles Magister 68

wing walk.jpg

One of my favorite planes and a very practical model too

So this will be based upon the Denis Bryant 68" Plan Version

The changes I intend to do are

Change the wing section to Clark YH as the original was (plan gives a semi-symmetrical section)

Add the flaps

Its not going to be a fast build as we are into flying season etc

Construction Methods

Wings:

6mm Depron Plate Wing, 3mm Skinning

6mm Depron Tapered Fuselage box with turtle deck "box" on top

Glass Tissued

Weight of Traditional build 11lb - Depron Target Under 7lb

Electric Motor Range (to be decided later) but in the 800W range

Wings will have two spars which are a 6mm Depron core sheeted in 3mm balsa

julie 032.jpg

julie 034.jpg

Wing panel joiners will be 6mm "mortices" inside the spars so a bit of gouging and digging required

julie 035.jpg

And the (start of) the U/C bearing woodwork (3mm ply 6mm Depron sandwich) will be slotted into a 4mm cross piece for strength

julie 037.jpg

Lovely choice Dave, you will get a good result here I'm sure. I can see where Percy is coming from about the wing section, but the Clark YH is a reflexed Clark Y and might be fairly close to a semi-symmetrical in the way it performs. I fancy doing a big Wicko Warferry in Depron, that used the Clark YH as well.

Thanks Colin, you are right the TE of the Clark YH turns upwards, so I plan to chamfer the underside of the wing rather than blending the upper (rib side) of the wing plate - that wont be an exact YH section but close(ish)

Not come across the Wicko Warferry - I had to google it! Auster ish but not as fragile loooking as the Auster - would make a nice model...... whats holding you back, you know you want to...... wink

A little woodwork and ironmongery today, to complete the centre section of the wing except the top sheeting which will go on after the outer panels are joined...

thursday 004.jpg

There will be oleo struts attached to the exposed stub ends of the torsion bar undercart (Magisters in the RAF seldom kept the spats fitted apparently)

Lumps of balsa in the front will receive the dowels for LE wing fixing

The double layer of Depron on the LE is to allow sufficient material for the nose of the Clark YH section to be sanded in after the skin is applied to the top of the wing

Posted by Percy Verance on 25/06/2015 21:49:24:

Just one thing though Dave, and pardon me for pointing this out, but shouldn't the grain on those wing dowel blocks be running span-wise?

I wondered when you would spot the deliberate mistake!!! blush

I'll either have to take them out or put a ply face plate on them.......

Nice to see more and more people using Depron for the bigger builds. The Magister certainly has bags of character.

My first 'big' Depron build was a scratch built Dauntless at 67" span, prior to that it was just the usual Depron profiles. But I could see the uses of Depron as I felt it is very comparable to soft balsa.

My Dauntless is now 8 years old a still a regular flier. I also did a Depron 'conversion' job on the TN free plan of the 72" Spitfire, plus electric power, (half the expected weight of the balsa and IC version). The Spit is a beautiful flier, very realistic in the air.

Good luck with the Magister build, if it flies as good as that picture, it will be a winner.

Ray

I think we still have an uphill struggle to convine a lot of people that Depron is a "respectable" material for planes, but then again, anything new takes time to become fully accepted

I have to confess I am still learning how to exploit the characteristics and compensate for the weaknesses of it, have to fight that urge to beef it up more than is needed!

But each time I build with it I feel I get better (this will be the fourth full depron build) the first never flew, the second was almost uncontrollable, the last one flies "like a cow" as per my test pilot blush but we think thats a tail incidence issue as it flies along nose down, CofG is as far back as we dare, so some more experimentation will prove that theory - but hey at least its flown several times!!!!!

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 26/06/2015 22:04:18

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 26/06/2015 22:05:09

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 26/06/2015 22:05:35

A little more done today in between going flying and keeping "she that thinks she should be obeyed" happy....

Horizontal Stab and Elevators almost done, attempted to get the "look" of a fabric covered elvator into the depron - not sure how effective it is...

dscf1169.jpg

The balsa "ribs" in the elevators make them extremely rigid so I dont believe there will be any flex in them at all

I will have to keep digging on the ailerons as in some photos they look sheeted in others not so, it may be that what I am seeing as ribs on the ailerons is in fact panel lines but then again it may not be!

still I don't need to address this yet as the next on the board will be the fuselage on the grounds its a lot easier to marry up a 12" wide wing stub to the fus than a 68" one!!!