Hi chris! I think you have the general idea for the balest, but I'me no glider bloke so dont ask me! Topography is basically the shape of the land, though I'me suprised you didn't learn that in geography... Perhaps (I would say maby, but that just doesnt look right...) the sylabus in Scotland is differnt to down here?...

Topograhy means the area and geography and landscape etc etc like is it a huge cliff rugged and wild winds, or a gentle meadow / hill - google is your friend Chris !

The wildthing will fly in moderate winds /lift, and also it will fly in a right hooly of a gale !! very light lift or wind, and you will be struggling, and as Eric puts it...walkies !

[quote]soo what your saying is the more lead for instance you put on as ballast the more wind it takes to make it fly and the less ballast you put in the lighter the wind needs to be to fly it? have i got it?[/quote]

Sort of, but it's more complicated than that.  So not really either.  You can fly in a strong wind with little ballast.  But strong winds and, that are no square on to the slope are often best tackled with ballast. Every plane responds to ballast differently (wing seciont, planform etc etc.)

Don't worry about ballast at this stage.  

SAS is the maker. You can't get a Mondeo from a Toyota garage now can you?

The wildthing can cover most conditions you are likely to encounter.  Building the thing straight and getting it trimmed out properly are key to good performance.   

Chapter 3: Radio Gear, or how i learned to love slope flying and relax.

Fasten your seat belts!

Do you have a transmitter Chris?

Servos:  2 x futaba s148s (www.phoenixmodel.com)

RX:  all most any  (as above)

Battery - 2400 mah vapextec (www.component-shop.co.uk) 

i know you need the radio equipment but i don't have the dosh for that yet coz ill be broke after bying the wildthing so il be bying the transmitter cheep beacuse i know a model shop in inverness which is 100miles away so when i gothere next ill get two sevos but as for the other stuff ill see if i can get a good deal

Eric Bray wrote (see)
No matter which Wildthing you get, it will not fly for very long without radio control in it! At a guess, about three seconds, unless you are very lucky.  It won't even balance in the correct place. That also goes for ANY other model aircraft, unless it is designed for FREE-FLIGHT. Even then, you have to learn how to trim it out before it will go anywhere. This forum is not the place for that discussion.
I think the Forum is OK for such discussions Eric / Chris....but not this particualr thread !