38" mossie in depron

As the title says I am going to attempt to build a 38" wingspan mosquito in depron using a TN design I think was published in RCME some 11 years ago.

This is my first build using foam so all is new to me. The fus looks a straight forward build, the plan however has the two wing sections built using single 9mm balsa sheets, which are then profiled and the ailerons cut out.

Now for depron I can get a 9mm sheet I think, at present I have 6mm and 3mm. So should I join the 6 & 3 or go get 9mm to form the wing. Then there is the question of strengthening it. Should I give it a balsa leading and trailing edge and channel in a balsa or Carbon support rod along the middle.

I have read a lot of the depron build blogs on here but I haven't found one yet that uses a single sheet rather than the normal rib and sheeting design.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Edited By Darran on 28/06/2015 16:02:10

Advert

The original plan calls for mostly 3mm balsa with some ply formers engine mounts other than the wing sheet which is 9mm all balsa ply is 3mm.

Plan weight is 30oz.

Should be able to do this in depron it's just the wing construction I'm unsure about.

I don't have that plan, but I did find one from the 2011 RCM&E at 36.5" span, (expected 39oz, include retracts), I would assume the build is roughly the same.

My normal built up wing would have a balsa L.E, spar(s), including the one the ailerons are hung from.

Though I have not built a wing that small, I would probably go for 2 or 3mm base, balsa L.E., spars, and a 2 or 3mm top skin. Probably choose the 2mm, but would have to experiment. I would include ribs only where I thought necessary. The spars should hold a reasonable top curve.

For a sheet wing, a single 6mm flat sheet, or maybe a KFm type section for a little extra thickness, and some carbon rods as spars.

As for weight, anything will fly given enough power, even a brick, but then bricks do tend to hit the ground rather hard, and have a high stall speed. If you have flown IC powered models, similar to that wink. (Yes I am little biased).

I all depends on what you want, a scale looking model with loads of detail and retracts etc, or a good general flier.

Ray.

Posted by eflightray on 28/06/2015 18:21:46:

I don't have that plan, but I did find one from the 2011 RCM&E at 36.5" span, (expected 39oz, include retracts), I would assume the build is roughly the same.

My normal built up wing would have a balsa L.E, spar(s), including the one the ailerons are hung from.

Though I have not built a wing that small, I would probably go for 2 or 3mm base, balsa L.E., spars, and a 2 or 3mm top skin. Probably choose the 2mm, but would have to experiment. I would include ribs only where I thought necessary. The spars should hold a reasonable top curve.

For a sheet wing, a single 6mm flat sheet, or maybe a KFm type section for a little extra thickness, and some carbon rods as spars.

As for weight, anything will fly given enough power, even a brick, but then bricks do tend to hit the ground rather hard, and have a high stall speed. If you have flown IC powered models, similar to that wink. (Yes I am little biased).

I all depends on what you want, a scale looking model with loads of detail and retracts etc, or a good general flier.

Ray.

Ray

This is a simple dogfight flyer with no landing gear of any sort, not very scale either, this is just a trial to see what I can build that's not to expensive and easy repair / rebuild when I crash it.

According to the plan the wing is a 9mm balsa sheet tapered to 3mm on the leading edge and 4mm on the training edge. and about 7mm at its highest point.

Found a build blog PDF on the Tony Nijhuis site, but its not to detailed and covers two models (There was a German version in the same vain).

**LINK**

My thoughts were to use a balsa leading and trailing edge with a carbon rod running through the middle. Should give it enough strength I think. Proof is in the pudding as they say.

As its fus (28" is small was going to use the box method with the formers and some carbon strip to give it strength.

Other changes were to add a rudder (Plan does not have rudder control) and to change to having the aileron servos in the nacelles rather than the torque rod option on the plan.

plan calls for two speed-400 6v motors but the site has a brushless option for

2200kv, 16 Wind, 220W, 2-4 LiPo
Recomended Prop 6" x 4" on 3S

Was also going to have contra rotating engines to assist with hand launching

Could fly like a brick but maybe it might just work.

Edited By Darran on 28/06/2015 19:18:51