any tips on how to make a flat field glider

Hi all,

I've just heard news that I have to make a glider for a compitition at school. The wing span has got to be less than 1.5 metres and it will be launched from a raised platform in a sportshall, the person who wins is the glider that travels the furthest. We have to design and make it our selves. Does anyone have any tips pointers or nudeges on how I should go about this?!

Thanks in advance, Ben.

• Use a good, high lift - low drag , wing section. The internet is helpful for this.
  • keep the weight as low as possible
  • Use modern materials like carbon fibre when necessary, but don't overuse them.
  • Most gliders have high aspect ratio wings e.g. 15:1 - 20:1
  • Keep it simple - parralel chord wing, simple tail surfaces
  • cover it in a lightweight, but 'ding-resistant' material

and as a model builder/flyer try and win.

I wish my school did comps like this

Hi,

Thanks for the info, i was really surprised when i heard about the glider comp and it is a big sports hall! i've decided to buy a west wings merlin to see what the aerofoil and wings are like, and also the building method etc. Ill keep you posted on how I get on. 

I am sure building a Merlin will be a great help but your final success will depend on how you learn to get it to glide well and straight! There is a lot to learn.

If you can get your Merlin to glide something like the length of your hall in no wind then build something similar, but different enough that it does not look like a straight copy! Remember most gliders have very similar shapes.

A long time ago I designed & built a couple of models for my fellow students and they came 1st & 2nd in their competition. I was not even in their class! Naughty.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

The Comp has been and past, we are not sure who has won yet but mine flew pretty well. We had the chance to come in possestion of £150 worth of vouchers, decided to get my vouchers from Sussex-Model-Centre. The Merlin glider was alot of help for me. Thanks for the advice. Now to see if I win.

Ben

Thanks!

I've decided, seen as im a beginner, to go and get an E-Flite Cub 25. a good second model after my easy star my instructor at the field says. I might (i will!) need to strengthen the UC for all tose heavy landings ill be making.

Ben