Solius Adventures

Steve Colman

Some friends and I have recently been looking for places to fly other then the club field, in order to try and record some interesting video.

Recently we went to a local reservoir and this video is the result. As you will see, things didn't quite go exactly to plan.

I'm having problems uploading to my Youtube page so a friend has kindly uploaded it to his.

Anyway here it is, I hope you enjoy it.

Steve.

Advert

Many thanks for the feedback Josip.

The Solius is certainly proving to be very popular, there are 6 in our club. I wouldn't describe it as outstanding in any particular aspect, but it is without doubt a very capable general purpose any day/any where flyer.

My friends and I are planning more "Adventures" so please keep a look out for new episodes.

Steve.

Thanks from me too Steve, you're tempting me to lash out on a Möbius to strap onto my Solius and get some pictures of the Severn Valley, just upstream from Bewdley, where we (the CMFC) fly. (My Box Brownie isn't really sufficiently aerodynamic for the job. wink 

I won't need to fly the Solius into a tree during filming, I did that on the Solius' third flight, a short evening with tape and filler and (from a distance!) she was as good as new, and she flies just as well. Too well sometimes, I find the spoilerons aren't all that good in strong lift, better to fly upwind out of it with as much down-trim as you dare.

Don't worry about escaping lift Gurth, just stick the nose down and dive out of it. The Solius is strong enough to withstand it. If you're not happy doing that, just pop it into a spin. thumbs up

As an aside, I've just equipped my Solius with a new motor. I'm using an Airtek AX/3548/900 outrunner, Graupner Cam Folding 12" x 6" prop and a Turnigy 40C 1800mAh 4s battery. This produces 675 Watts (in) for a current drain of 44.8A. This is slightly above the max continuos rating of the motor (42.5A), but as it is made of a light alloy and only short bursts of power are need to gain height, the motor is never hot at the end of the flight. This has really transformed the Solius and makes it perform much more like a Hotliner, which I doubt it was ever designed to be.

I have an MVVS 3.5/1200 in mine - on a 3S 2200 she climbs like a rocket. To be honest, I've never felt the need to put a Wattmeter on it, as, like yours, short bursts (< 15-20 secs) are all that are needed. After seeing the numbers you have for your Airtek set-up, next time the Solius sees daylight I'll tie her to a Workmate and get some readings for comparison purposes.