Another ESC needs an ID!

Hi Guys and Gals, I need your help please...
I have acquired a large glider with a motor grafted into the nose and a speed controller as shown in the pic. I know (well, I've been told) that it is a 60amp ESC and that it's suitable for up to 4s but further info is lacking.There may have been a label on the other face but there's just velcro there now so I don't know what make it is and, consequently, can't find out how to programme it. Does anyone out there know what make it may be? Then I might be able to seek some instructions for it. I primarily want to discover how to engage the brake and how to tell it what battery pack it has been connected to.
I can say that when connected to a battery with the throttle at idle it beeps low, high, low, high and is armed but with the throttle advanced, it waits for a few seconds then beeps once, twice, thrice, four times - you get the idea - up to sixteen beeps (if I can count correctly) then starts at one again. No long beeps or combinations.
Does any of that help?
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unknown speed controller.jpeg 
Views:	0 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	2107116
Thanks for any info you can supply.
Cheers, Phil

Advert

Cant ID it, but there are a few stock ways round sulking ESC's

Power on the ESC with the TX Throttle at full, after the initial set of bleeps, throttle down to nothing - power off the esc, power of and it should be calibrated to the TX

Try reversing the throttle channel if its a Futaba

You dont need to tell it what battery its connected too, it will work that out for itself and give you one bleep per cell when arming

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 03/07/2015 16:02:50

Thanks Dave but I have no problem with getting it to run and throttle from nothing to full chat - I need to engage the brake and I'm not sure that ALL ESCs will work out what battery is connected and I would like to tell it what's what in that respect, especially as I have a selection of them including NiCads and NiMHs that I would use. And I'm lucky enough not to suffer the slings and arrows of programming a Fruity-Bar radio (been there, done that - never going back!) - Multiplex 4000 for me!

If I can discover the make of ESC, I can search for operating instructions and, with luck, set up the details.

Hi ,I wonder if it would be easier to purchase an ESC from new ,then you can make sure that it is correct for the a/c especially being that the ESC is such an important component of the power chain ....Regards Barry.

Good thinking Barry - it WOULD be easier... (but not cheaper!) The ESC, being in a glider, is primarily for launch and, not being BEC equipped, it isn't needed for radio operation so I feel it'd be fine to use. (I fly pure gliders mainly so I'm kinda used to landing deadstick!) Good thought about the safety aspects though, both for the aircraft and everything in the vicinity too. All I need is someone to recognise it and say "Oh, I've got one like that, it's a XYZ, you can download instructions from..." and I'll be away. If it responds correctly to the instructions then that in itself will be a double check but, as I say, it's not a critical component in it's current use.

Thanks all who have replied but it seems we're not getting anywhere yet, The ESC does indeed look just like the DYS onebut the programming is different so it's a dead end there I'm afraid. I have rooted through about twenty and counting PDFs of instruction manuals for various ESCs to no avail. I think the defining difference that someone may recognise is the fact that it beeps once, twice, thrice, etc up to SIXTEEN times(!) when energised with the throttle advanced. No long beeps, no music, just lots of short beeps. If that is familiar, I may have the same brand as you...

That's not the same ESC we ever sold on shark/cod which was the rcmax/SP brand although it looks similar, I think I might have some instructions for the SP ESC somewhere if you want me to dig them out but im 99% sure that's not it, sorry I can't be of more help

Edited By Graham Back - Rclife.co.uk on 03/07/2015 23:18:38

Edited By Graham Back - Rclife.co.uk on 03/07/2015 23:18:56