Prop adapter play on PZ Radian

Simon Hall 2

I have noticed on my oldest of 2 Radians that there was some play when you pull on the prop assembly. I only noticed as the prop assembly has become a bit noisy compared to the other plane. The newer Radian does not have any play. I took off the spinner cone and undid the prop nut. It's just the adapter in the pic that has play, but the shaft is static. I have a new prop adapter and was going to try fitting it. I removed the small grub screw with the tiny allan key head, but the adapter does not come off. Any ideas as to what the problem could be here, apart from me! Thanks.

prop adapter.jpg

Advert

Hi Martin, yes there is no opposite grub screw. I was pulling quite hard by hand and it did not budge. Could it have somehow grooved the shaft and lodged itself in there? There seems to be something else in there on the shaft. I tried pressing it gently with a screwdriver thinking it could be a sort of release bearing or something. I can't really make out how it attaches to the shaft as it's so tiny.

You could try rigging a ersatz puller, by using a socket spanner head that fits fully over the adaptor but rides in the motor, then use a spinner nut (the type with a tommy bar hole) with some piano wire through the hole so that as you tighten the spinner nut the piano wire engages with the socket and as you tighten the spinner nut the pressure it transfered onto the motor face and with luck and a following wind it should come off