First Mouldie

Hi Guys

Looking for my first mouldie and advice unfortunately not megabucks but i've £200-250 burning a hole would prefer something already built to start with but any advice would be good.

Been sloping for about 2 years now fleet includes a Limit EX topmodel Sweet various wings, cliffwhacker,phoenix 200/1600 ,St blaze,Phase 6

Only just got brave enough to start looking for a Mouldie.

I live in north devon and we have some fab slope sites here.

Advert

Hi Andy. At the money you have available, a full mouldie will be out of your price range. However, there are other options. Fibre glass fuselage with glass covered veneered foam wings. There are various models on the flying doc web site, www.shop.flying-dog.co.uk

I wouldn't recommend anything under a 2m span as larger models are easier to fly. Also try to go for something with flaps as this gives you so many other flight conditions. Thermal, speed flap, snap flap & crow braking.

My first glass model was a Used X models Whisper, 2m, 4 servo wing. I cannot recommend it highly enough as it will fly in 7-30 mph winds easily, is aerobatic and will thermal nicely too. There are some second hand bargains to be had if you're patient .

Steve

A470soaring.blogspot.co.uk

Any second hand 2m+ 4 servo wing model should do - don't go for anything smaller or worry if it has a few dings as long as they have been repaired soundly. For a first mouldie it's best to have something you are not scared of damaging, hence starting off with something that's less than perfect is actually a good move!

Models I'd recommend would be the Luna, Acacia (1, 2 or 3), Strega, Typhoon etc - none of them represent the cutitng edge, but they will be plenty good enough to make most of your existing fleet look very ordinary by comparison. The Willow is also a good choice if you can find one, though it is likely to be out of your price range. I recently picked up a 2.4m Mibo Mini Vision which is a fabulous all rounder and would make a perfect first mouldie, but unfortunately they are very rare and no longer distributed in the UK - if you see one snap it up!

Good luck! smiley

Edited By MattyB on 06/07/2015 12:36:14

Trouble is i've seen several second hand mouldies online online Luna on BMFA site at the mo but they are 200 plus miles away and they are strictly collection only.

As i live in North Devon there doesn't seem to be many slopers around down here we have been going every sat for nearly 2 year and only come across a handfull of slopers (freindly bunch though)

Had a look at the flying dog site and the Hammer looks promising but on back order at the mo.

You may get lucky, just keep on top of the classifieds - maybe put a "wanted" advert into some of the R/C related FaceBook groups?

Both my PIke WR and my Carbon Mini Blade were less than £250 each, were bought in perfect condition with a full set of good quality servos too - there are bargains out there! yes

• 2 weeks later...