Canopy Fixing

Advert

I have used 3 methods

1. Glue it on with cyno. I do not like this as it is easy to make a mess and the canopy is there for good

2. Tape it on with thin strips of matching solatrim. This is quite good but I have concerns about security.

3. Use small screws (servo screws). This is one of my favorite methodes and the screws can look quite good if the are put in the right places.

I have also used a combination of methods say 2 and 3 if I did not like the look of the screws. 

Glue it on with canopy glue, takes a long time to set though and you need to tape/clamp the canopy in place until it does. But it does set clear so if you do get some in the wrong place it doesn't notice too much. Or glue it on with silicone sealant the type which dries clear. Either method make it failry easy to remove the canopy should the need arise. Cyano can create a mist in a canopy which you can't easily get off.

• 1 year later...
Been a long time since the last posting on this one, but the search engine is a wonderful thing...

Is it generally necessary to key the surface (i.e. lightly rough it up) that's being glued or do the silicone/canopy glues not require it?

I'm about to glue some vac-formed under-wing radiator mouldings and a canopy so any tips along this line would be very timely.

Shaun K.

Shaun
Being an ex plumber we never roughened up a bath or wash basin before using silicon sealant and when it dried it was a job to get it off, so my answer would be no. If however it wasnt succesfull a light roughening up would not hurtbut I never have found the need
Garry

Edited By Garry Pollard on 15/02/2010 11:45:27

One more question on gluing canopies and plastic mouldings - how wide a flange should I leave around the edges to glue?

I'm gluing a couple of under-wing radiator mouldings on and I have plenty of room to spare around the moulded part, but obviously the smaller the amount the better it will look.

Should I be thinking just a couple of mm, or should i be more like 4-5mm? The parts are about 80mm wide x 130mm long and about 20mm deep.

I've never used canopy glue before so I have no idea how thin an edge I can glue without bits falling off.

Shaun.