DIY paint stripper

Reed

Need to strip some paint indoors on gloss.

Door frame and multi pane glass door. I used nitromors years ago and it worked but nasty stuff. I recall seeing some stuff that sets and you peel off. also many of large shops carry makes I have never heard of. Can anyone provide any recs from previous use please.

Advert

I had problems with Nitromors last time I used it, in that the paint I put on afterwards would never set, despite washing it down thoroughly,

If sanding won't do it, then a trip to Buildbase or someone like that will probably get you something more effective. My Grandad always used a half pint blowlamp and burned the stuff off. But then, he always made his own paint and gave a 10 year guarantee! You could, in those days.

MrTin

Posted by Foxfan on 17/08/2015 10:53:51:My Grandad always used a half pint blowlamp and burned the stuff off.

MrTin

It is the quickest way - if you can tolerate the smell and know that the paint does not contain lead.

Of course nowadays you can get hot air guns that take the place of the blowlamp.

I have used the past type strippers but with poor results. Nitromors or equivalent and lots of wire wool (and thick gloves) in my recipe.

Pummet

As we are in the RCME forum the chances that you have a hot air gun are good - use it, it works perfect. of course you need to be patient and try not to burn the surface.

And if you don't have a hot air gun - consider purchasing one - they are marvelous for building but also for getting that old foil coating straight and tidy again. Not to forget they shrink you shrink tubes on connectors. Hot air gun - one of my workshop essentials...

VA