No more Flair SE5a?

Advert

For those wanting Flair kits, The Model Shop Northampton has some in stock. I just called by and bought a Puppeteer, which was not their only one. I did see a couple of other Flair models on the shelf, including maybe a Black Magic?

According to the shop, the current owner of Flair runs it very much as a "hobby" sideline from his other main business, so things do tend to bob along in a somewhat relaxed fashion.

Has anyone actually checked this out with Flair ?

Kit manufacturing is usually carried out in batches by companies like Flair. It may be that they are themselves out of stock and are not producing any more until their dealers request them. I doubt very much that they have stopped production entirely of such a popular kit.

kevinb.

Thanks for the mention Jon, kc, Percy and others. Very much appreciated. Yes they are created in batches because despite what it may look like at the end, there's a huge amount of work in selecting the required weight of balsa, looking for unacceptable blemishes or dinks in the wood. Even a scuff in a non used place may be enough to go into the 'Rich's pile to build' heap (it's quite substantial!). - some goes in the discard pile due to having to put out the occasional flame in the wood. Wood being a natural product obviously, it's not going to be uniform so the thicker stuff especially can have denser and lighter patches in the one sheet. Even ply can be subject to glue anomalies in unseen patches.

It's all different thicknesses of balsa and ply. dowel and thick balsa can't be lasered so is handcut and you should also see some of the weird shapes and jigs for bandsawing that we need to employ. This week has been a 1/4 strip tapered down to 1/8 on a couple of sides as an example for the Vampire (which we had to halt Hurricane production as we'd run out unexpectedly, saying that, same thing happened with the Tiger Moth 58 the previous week. Fibreglass cowls. Make a batch and discard any with bubbles that affect the surface. Keep going till we have 7 or 14 kits worth. Same with vac forming but not so long a wait. Packing the boxes in the presentation we have grown used to and is worthy of that customer first open look, feel and smell.

Not any complaints here, just an insight into the amount that still needs to be monitored and hand crafted. I haven't even mentioned the wire bending process - when I get a spare 60K I'll maybe invest in a proper CNC bending machine but for now, hand crafted

Shame to hear of Flair, still love my Flair Kite (Trained on and still going strong) although that was bought by them from ATS, saying that it may be why I'm selling more Williams Brothers stuff (just received a huge two boxes with usual stuff plus dummy engine bits). I only emailed Flair this week to check they still produced the 1/4 Tiger Moth for a customer of ours. Not had a reply yet sadly and phoning didn't work either. I have had many new time builders call, buy and are currently beavering away. Some will fly (in time and with obvious trainer/club joining advice issued) and some just like modelling, I have also discussed starting up with any number of people at the shows, probably costs me sales whilst I'm wittering on but it's an investment so is good with me.

Look at our facebook page for recent pictures and maiden voyages although I can only update it intermittently. Not sure about link rules so won't add one, facebook and dbsportandscale should get you where it's at.

Even more of a shame about Wren, really wanted one eventually. Best I don't get here very often as I've waffled on for long enough. Happy building, flying and if you're unfortunate enough to suddenly have an extra space in your hangar, well, you know where we are.

Edited By Richard B (DB Sport and Scale Ltd) on 21/08/2015 21:07:10

Like many others in this forum, I'm very happy with my DB Sport & Scale models -- a Piper Cub and a Tiger Moth. But even though there's other SE5a models out there, it had to be another Flair for m because I've got the motor, wheels, and a specially shaped piece of lead ballast for the nose wink

The postie should be bringing it tomorrow.

Edited By Allan Bennett on 21/08/2015 21:23:31

So far I have started looking at the Albatross and Tinker, just mainly playing around with CAD in more detail for the moment as I have builds of the Sopwith Pup E and a few others to complete first. But yes, scaling the Tiger Moth had occurred as it's the third time I've been asked and let's be truthful, I want one as well! But then, I think that of all the kits and plan packs. Eddie is working on a revamped version of a couple of sportier types (mainly because I liked them) although they are 'fully' in retirement so they will come when it comes.

Allan, that's 'Flair' enough (had to be done), building any model is fine with me so long as we're building. Even flying ARTF's is fine, it all has it's place. I'm not a foam fan but even then, I do have a couple of knock round little ones (knock round being extremely accurate in my case!). And a bunch of small to mid heli's plus a nano QX. All good.

Edited By Richard B (DB Sport and Scale Ltd) on 21/08/2015 21:53:14

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this, so apologies in advance.

I have an old Flair SE5 kit, and a Baronette.

Both un-started and complete.

They have been taken out of the box to check contents are all there. The wing ribs and formers etc, have been removed from their carrier sheets in the SE5, but are all there.

They are die cut, NOT laser cut kits and have been stored in a warm dry place.

I have now started building a 1/4 scale SE5, so will not be building them.

£90 + £13.95 p&p each, assuming you are in UK. (Sorry will not post abroad).

Can bring to Barkston Nationals.

If anyone is interested send a pm.