FRSky Receivers

Darran

Hi

I have two Taranis transmitters and both are at the new EU firmware. I have been using X8R Receivers in my models up to now which seems a bit of a waste as all of them only require 4 channels.

I now have a model that requires more than four channels and would like to use one of my existing X8R's in it, so what other receiver options are there for the Taranis that provide 4 channel for the donor model.

I am new to the Taranis game so do they do a 4 channel receiver, their site has a plethora of receivers but which ones are my options for the Taranis.

Advert

On the EU firmware without a DJT a in the module slot, you are limited to the X4R, X6R and X8R. None of the D series will work, nor the V series. However if you flash the firmware in your internal XJT module to the international variant you will gain compatibility with D and V series RXs; however you will then need to flash all your existing X8s to Int'l firmware too, and your TX may or may not be compliant with UK regs (people have views either way, but no-one can be 100% certain as the language in the ETSI a regs is somewhat wooly around the sold vs used question).

Fun Huh?!!

Ps - One alternative low cost option for cheaper models that don't need telemetry... Grab an OrangeRX DSM2/X module from Hobbyking and some LemonRX a or OrangeRX receivers. I would not put these in stiff I really care about, but I have had no issues with such a setup for my parkfliers.

Edited By MattyB on 20/08/2015 17:09:30

To expand on Matty's post, at it's simplest if you bought the transmitters in the UK since January, then you are on the EU compatible XJT module firmware (ie the bit that does the RF encoding). If this is the case you need to stick to X series receivers, X4R, X6R or X8R.

If you bought them from HK or from outside of Europe they will be on non-EU firmware, which means you can also use D-series receivers.

My last option of Rx will require a DJT module in the Tx module slot. MattyB suggestion is a good one if you have an OrangeRx Tx module, or know of some one who has one for sale. They are only available from the international HK warehouse and are over the import limit of £15, about £20 I believe. Thus, you would have to pay VAT @ 20% on that and the shipping then add the Post Office collection fee of £8. Not economic IMHO.

Posted by GONZO on 20/08/2015 17:24:21:

My last option of Rx will require a DJT module in the Tx module slot. MattyB suggestion is a good one if you have an OrangeRx Tx module, or know of some one who has one for sale. They are only available from the international HK warehouse and are over the import limit of £15, about £20 I believe. Thus, you would have to pay VAT @ 20% on that and the shipping then add the Post Office collection fee of £8. Not economic IMHO.

Perhaps I have been lucky but I have bought 2 X8R's and an X4R individually from HK International recently and not been charged VAT on them. Delivery has been quick too.

Edited By TigerOC on 20/08/2015 20:07:50

Maybe you were all lucky. I ordered an OrangeRx DSM2/X Tx module for a friend late last year to fit his Taranis. He had no experience of this sort of thing and was happy for me to do it for him and to pay the VAT etc if caught. Well he/we did get caught and the module cost in the upper £30 (£36 or £38'ish I think from memory). So, you have to be prepared to pay this if caught. An additional possibility now is if you get a particulary 'picky' official the module could be siezed and destroyed as being an unauthorised/illegal import as it will transmit a non conforming protocol (DSM2). I know this is very unlikely but it could happen and you need to be prepared to accept this gamble when deciding what and where to buy.

Keep it simple, folks! As Gonzo points out, FrSky now do 4 channel receivers in the X-series range that are directly compatible with Darran's Tx without the need for any external modules.

There are two options - the basic X4R, just a simple 4-channel receiver (probably what the OP wants) and the X4R-SB, which adds an SBUS option for up to 16 channels. This latter is intended for use in quad-copters and the like, I suspect, where there is an external decoder / stabiliser circuit. I believe it only has three outputs in conventional mode, so its probably not what he wants.

Darran: Go with the X4R, as illustrated here:

**LINK**

which should do what you want.

--

Pete