Mills and copies

George R. Vale

Advert

A Mk1 has a block milled from the solid, it is natural Aluminium in colour and I am not aware of any copies. A Mk2 is made from a casting, the originals were black (some kind of coating) and the Indian copies were silver/grey in colour. I have an original Mk1 and Mk2 and neither has "England" on the backplate. I also have an Indian Mills which does have "India" on the backplate so I suspect that yours may be an English (Irvine?) copy......

Paul

Irvine Mills 1.3 - single ball race, shiny black crancase, screw on fuel tank, sharp well defined (machined) engine case in the style of the cast original. Indian has fuel tank secured by bent metal tabs from tank cover, no ball race and not so nice cast engine case. If you do a Google search for each type the pictures shown will soon tell the whole story.

I've just seen photographs of this engine and I think there's a bit of wrong info above.

I think the engine does have numbers on the lugs, and it appears to be an original Mills 1.3 Mk II, with a backplate from an Irvine and a home cobbled prop driver.

The problem with this kind of situation is that everyone always assumes that the engine hasn't been messed with, which isn't always the case...

Hi I have four Mills 1.3 Mkll and three of them have a plain black backplate with two holes for a pin spanner and the fourth one that I know is original has the same backplate with England stamped into it . The Mk I had a similar backplate that was not anodised and not stamped either.From your pics it all looks correct and original. The crankcase is cast from magnesium and will pit badly if left in damp conditions. They were originally treated with a chromate anti corrosion process that turns them black but this does wear and a good coating of oil will help prevent more white powder forming as the magnesium oxidises.

E.D.

PS prop driver looks original .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 10/09/2015 16:59:03

Edited By Engine Doctor on 10/09/2015 17:02:17