HK Specter composite glider build (Ok, assembly!)

mightypeesh

HI folks. I have been considering this glider for a while and I quite liked the look of it for the price of 70 odd sqiddles - thanks to the lovely birthday fairy it is now on the bench!

specter (0).jpg

There is a very long thread on it over at RCGroups **LINK** which has been running since 2012!

Apparently it is a copy of something called a Passer X - but on a budget. Reading through the blog this kit is not without its problems - the main ones seem to be warped fuses, general lack of space for the gear and binding snakes and quality issues. It is however meant to be a good flyer if you can get through the angst of putting it together.... We shall see.

specter (1).jpg

The parts count is quite low, and from first look the fuse looks way out of kilter, as well as the tail feathers look a bit wonk. Wing looks alright though!

Although HK claim an auw of just under 700gms, most seem to be at the 850 plus range. the power train I have is a turnigy 28/36 motor with a 40amp esc with a 1300 3s lipo. The prop is a Cam Carb 9x7 with a 30mm spnner. servos are going to be whatever I have in my big box of bits!

specter (2).jpg

Starting weight of bare airframe parts 402gms.

specter (3).jpg

A closer look at the fuselage with a ping line shows it to be pretty straight after all.

specter (4).jpg

Its not going to win any prizes for coach building though!

specter (6).jpg

The tail plane is definatly on the wonk though...

specter (5).jpg

Looks like the scapel is coming out!

specter (7).jpg

The wings look ok at first look.

specter (8).jpg

And just a bit of a passing nod towards a servo mount.

Advert

Ok off we go then.

specter (9).jpg

Drilled out some cooling holes in the front and reinforced the mount inside and out with epoxy.

specter (13).jpg

specter (14).jpg

The motor goes straight in no problems at all. Please note the special wibbly circle of the moulding at the front. I think it must be to mach the rest of the fuse and is done for some special aerodynamic reason!

specter (10).jpg

The snakes are pre-fitted to the inside of the fuse, but must have a bend near the exit point as the inners bind badly as they go through. I just dremelled them out and will refit and fix as needed.

specter (11).jpg

There is not enough space inside the fuse to mount the sevos upright so I have made a unit up with them on to of each other to drop in the fuse.

specter (12).jpg

Even now there is only mm's of clearance not sure how I will attach the rods yet? I will overcome though!

specter (18).jpg

These sitt on two bearers epoxied into the fuse. I also added some liteply stringers under the lip of the opening - as you can see a small crack had appeared due to a moulding fault. The rest seems ok, but I will add some local reinforcement as needed.

specter (16).jpg

Quick look at the wings whilst that is drying. Mmm a whole 7mm at the widest point......

specter (17).jpg

...dropping to 4mm at the narrow end! Now I could pay £100 for a couple of ultra thin sevos that are still too thick (8mm) or work with the ones I have which are 11.5mm - tough choice!

Even moving the servo forwards in the wing will not make it fit so I will make up some blisters for them with the good old plastic bottle trick. I dont think with my standard of flying They will make much odds!

specter (19).jpg

The glass canopy is far too narrow to fit on the fuse....

specter (20).jpg

.... So into a bowl of boiling water for a few minutes and then squashed back onto the fuse until cooled...

specter (21).jpg

... Sorted smiley

That's it for now,

Cheers, Simon

Ok folks. Not so much a build as an exercise in snagging!

_mg_0489.jpg

levelling up the front of the fuse with the good old 'spin it up with a bit of abrasive attached' trick.

_mg_0490.jpg

Do it a little bit at a time and pack with strips of paper behing the abrasive until level turn by hand before putting the power on to check it is not binding!

_mg_0491.jpg

_mg_0492.jpg

That looks better.

_mg_0496.jpg

Made a small cable clip to hold wires out of the way of the motor.

_mg_0501.jpg

Snake exits reshaped and epoxied back in place

_mg_0507.jpg

Servo's fitted in place - the snakes sit nicely along the sides of the fuse andheld with a few more spots of epoxy.

_mg_0511.jpg

Tail marked for recutting

_mg_0512.jpg

Thats better.

_mg_0514.jpg

Bit of passing foam cut nice and square and with an angle of 105 to set the tail.

_mg_0515.jpg

Epoxied together and left to do its own thing.

Whilst that is drying onto those wing servo's.

_mg_0517.jpg

taped a bit of ply onto the top of the wing to stop the servo pushing through the covering.

_mg_0563.jpg

Build up around servo hatch with some scrap balsa to correct height.

_mg_0522.jpg

tack cover and servo in place..

_mg_0524.jpg

I am feeling lazy so rather than carve and sand a nice blister shape to form the cover I am gong to cheat. I taped a bit of cling film over the area and used a heat gun to shrink it tight.

_mg_0525.jpg

Thats about the right size! Very technical mold wall.

_mg_0527.jpg

Not stuff everybody has sitting around the workshop (I do lifecasting as well). It is a seaweed based stuff that you mix with water and it sets in minutes.

_mg_0532.jpg

A few minutes later

_mg_0536.jpg

and some plaster of paris poured into the mold to make a buck

_mg_0540.jpg

...to go into my home made vacuum former. the plastic is 0.7mm PETG from fleabay.

_mg_0569.jpg

Sprayed from the inside with black primer and the ply servo cover epoxied in position. wrap some tape around the servo in case you need to remove it later and glue to cover. The assembly then slotos into position and is held in with a circle of Solar Trim.

It is a lot quicker than it looks - if you have all the stuff already!

Cheers, Simon

Ok. last bit.

_mg_0573.jpg

Wing epoxied together and taped up. I had to wittle away at the front of the wing where it hits the locating v in the fuse to get a good fit. I then used a bit of carbon rod to make a locating post in the front.

_mg_0548.jpg

Tail surfaces fitted and glued in place

_mg_0555.jpg

I added a small fillet to the top which will be covered and popped a couple of aluminium screws in - I always did like a bit of belt and braces! Bit of filler at the front to smooth the gap between the fuse and flying surfaces.

_mg_0584.jpg

Squeezing it all in - not as bad as I thought it was going to be. ESC and Spektrum telemetry unit tucked under in front of the servo block...

_mg_0583.jpg

.... and the Rx and Vario down the back.

_mg_0581.jpg

Small hole drilled for the tip of the vario antenna to sit out side the fuse.

_mg_0595.jpg

And thats it really. I used a starting CG at 72mm and it came out absolutely spot on without any lead needed with the lipo at the front! I must say she is a good looking plane.

_mg_0598.jpg

AUW of 829gms. Not bad at all for a cheapy!

_mg_0602.jpg

An hour later down the field...... What a good looking chap. Breeze about 10 - 12 mph. perfect. Onto the important bit of how she flies.

With a launch of half throttle she had a brisk climb out to about 100 ft no problems. Cof G felt a bit forwards, so landed and moved lipo back a centimeter - What a difference! I went for a proper burn up to 150m - on full throttle it took aound 6 seconds before the altimeter buzzer kicked in to let me know I had arrived! Once again not bad considering it is a budget set up of about £20 for the motor and esc. Mooched around for a bit getting a feel for her - penetration semms good for a lightweight plane although there does not seem to be much authority in the rudder but that that may be a V-tail thing and the cg still needs a bit of twiddling. Landing is very slippery even with flaperons mixed in - she gets in ground effect and just shoots past you like a silent hovercraft!

On the last flight of the day having moved the lipo back a bit more I found a good themal straight away. Blimy, I have never had the vario constanly beeping up for that long on any plane before! From a 150m start it was not long before 200, 300, and 400m had passed. Wow! I am so impressed with this plane. I am definately what you would call a 'sport flyer' but even I had a flight of over 30 minutes from one burn of the motor and got up to 437m or over 1400ft. I only came down then because I was tired gazing at the speck in the sky. 80% left in the Lipo too!

_mg_0607.jpg

I you can get over the build issues with this plane it is I think stonking value for money. I have had the Radian Pro and several Pheonix 2000's as well as a Gental lady before and did not know what to expect of this. I spent maybe 10 hours over 2 1/2 days on the build - like I said - mainly problem solving, nothing too bad though.

I have decided, chuffed is what I am!

Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 28/09/2015 11:24:55

Edited By mightypeesh on 28/09/2015 11:27:39