New Extra 260 EP from Al's hobbies

Advert

Interim Fettling Filing:

Unfortunately AlsHobbies is out of the ESC and Batteries in the 'deal' so this is an interim report. 

Dualsky 260 arrived, inspected and instructions read.

Instructions look good, but miss out a whole section on fitting elevator servo. Where it says 'do forget' it really means 'don't forget'.  Tells you all the glues that are required for the build, and then just refers to epoxy.  Apparently the supplied stickers are able to 'focus' the eye and get 'people to look at your model'.

Servo-Horn control rod hardware is frankly effeminate - duly replaced by CF jobs.  Rudder pull-pull mechanism seems good.

Canopy held by magnetic catches, 0.5mm shut-lines on one side 1mm on the other.  Instructions say magnets not strong enough and screws should be used to supplement.

Cowl needs cutting to fit the supplied motor, no spinner supplied.

The trickiest part of the build is sorting the elevators around the stab, they have to be dismantled and the steel 'U' inserted *before* the stab is glued.

Thus the 260 sits there, fettled as far as possible waiting for the remaining parts to arrive by post.

I've had it checked over by a very experienced modeller who thought the airframe is fine and that the parts issue is just par for the ARTF course.

Andy 

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/4034/V/6/SP/

I take it you have seen mine, I had to mod the cowel too, alittle cutout to get the cowl on 10mins with the dremal job done,

Make sure you give the undercrt mount a good going over add some tri stock if you can to beef it up abit

Worth the wait as they fly amazing you WILL enjoy

BB

Found out the final parts are still going to be a few more days.

Had a cheapy 70A opto ESC that I was going to use for another project along with some electrolite 3700mAh 4S lipos, so there was a little modification and the Extra 260 got finished this evening.

Kitchen table tests gave 52A and 860W maximum output, falling to 815W once the lipos had been exercised, this was using a 14x8.5 APC (E) prop.

This is the most powewrful model I've completed and the draft, pull and noise were signifcant!

The manual regarding the CG is pretty obtuse, I've got mine at 100mm from the leading edge.

... now I'm really hoping for a break in this miserable weather.

Andy 

Cheers Gerry!

Well tonight I finally comitted aviation with the Extra.

First issue was getting it in the car!  This is the first time I've had something too big to go in without dismantling. 

After a long chat in the drizzle punctuated with a brief spell inside the weather cleared for 30 mins. With less than a handfull of club mates about the range test and sub-trims were completed. I was all set to go when our club instructor offered to run it round first.  He certainly made it look elegant, slow rolls in particular.

All was good so I took the next two flights.  My impressions are that she flies slow and smooth and seems to shake off wind well (10mph this evening).  I'd flown the Addiction just beforehand so thats my comparision point.  I found that I was flying mucher further away that I normally do,  probably because of the size.

On a low pass its clear that she is quick, the vertical climb is endless (well as much as your batteries can take, on that note she positively ate through the two 3700mAh Electrolites).

Some might not consider 1400mm wingspan big, but she seems huge to me, you get so much more time to see whats going on.   Landing in particular seems easier than expected.  Overall a more relaxing experience.

With the weather and light closing in it was time to pack up.  I haven't really got to know this plane yet but I'm slavering for more! 

Andy 

Good for you andy  The more I flew this model the more I liked it. I am talking in past tense as had hip operation 10 days ago and am a bit stiff and therefore cannot go flying for a week or so. However your experiance of flying thr 260 was very similar to mine except I am a lone flyer and did flight trials myself. If ever you suffer constipation try a first flight with the 260 on your own its awsome

Hope you have many hours pleasure

Garry

Whay-hay 'A' cert passed !

The Extra 260 fulfilled its primary duty today as a model to take my 'A' Certificate on.

She seems so easy on Friday night that I requested the test as soon as I got to the club - and so it was flights 3 and 4 that made up the test. The club chairman duly inspected and declared it big enough and off we went.

From lone beginner to proper club member, here's the progression:

/sites/3/images/member_albums/32987/EShock.jpg

The Electric Shock, my beloved trainer

/sites/3/images/member_albums/32987/Addiction.jpg

The Addiction, the follow on, well mannered and still my favourite.

/sites/3/images/member_albums/32987/allV.jpg

And the team that got me there.

On flights 5-6 I gave the Extra a good work out, rolls, loops, bunts, stall turns my version of a cuban, nice!

She's been re-fettled with a new aileron servo tonight as clubmates pointed out some odd hunting/overshooting on one side. Hoping for a yet more crisp performance next time out!

I'm still smiling.... Andy

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...