Durafly P40N

Mark a

I received my Durafly P40 today and I must say I'm impressed with the quality of the finish on the foam it is as smooth as a smooth thing and looks really good. I won't bore you with a build thread as it takes less than an hour to put together but I will post a couple of pictures once I've finished it.

Mark.

Advert

Yep, I've got one too and the quality is superb. Getting 5 sets of excellent quality vinyl markings is a bonus. Hope to maiden it on Sunday. I'm a bit concerned about the weight - it's 51oz including a 3s battery. My Durafly Spitfire 24 is 41oz, and flies superbly.

It says you can fit a 4s, but that gave me 700W at about 50A - surely it doesn't need all that, and it's a 45A esc.

So, mine will have the 3s, which gives just over 400W. I'll report on how my maiden goes.

Posted by ChrisB on 02/10/2015 22:04:01:

Flying it Sunday morning before Gaydon then?

I might even take some superb pictures of it!!

If I get time Chris, I was thinking of asking the Hobbit with the big lens to take a few lol.

Going to try both 3s and 4s batteries and see how it goes.

Edited By Mark a on 03/10/2015 09:10:53

Edited By Mark a on 03/10/2015 09:14:16

Well the building of the P40 is very straight forward took about an hour or so to apply the decals and about the same to put together. The only thing I had to alter was the motor that was running backwards so it was just a case of swapping over two of the wires and all was well. Finished it off in the RAF scheme of 250 squadron Italy 1944 and all that's left to do is a bit of weathering.

It wouldn't balance without weight being added with the 3s Chris so used 4s and it balanced perfectly. Only need to use half throttle with 4s for scale flying and you get a good 7-8 minutes flying time. It flew very well on its maiden yesterday with only a click or two of trim needed for straight and level flight. Landings are good using the flaps but you have to keep a bit of speed up on the approach as with any warbird. The battery position is different as it needs to be slotted in at an angle and pushed into the back of the motor mount.

Edited By Mark a on 09/10/2015 09:00:14

Edited By Mark a on 09/10/2015 09:02:29

Mark, have you measured the current on your 4s setup? As I said above, mine was pulling around 50A, which seemed a bit risky for a 45A rated esc. Hence, I'll try mine on 3s - I've set the cg with a small piece of lead at the front of the chin scoop.

I got as far as a take-off run and acceleration seemed good. Then a wheel dropped into a rut and the u/c came unglued. All fixed now and ready to try again, but the forecast is for a windy weekend so I'll probably wait a bit longer.

Posted by Trevor Crook on 09/10/2015 13:14:58:

Mark, have you measured the current on your 4s setup? As I said above, mine was pulling around 50A, which seemed a bit risky for a 45A rated esc. Hence, I'll try mine on 3s - I've set the cg with a small piece of lead at the front of the chin scoop.

I got as far as a take-off run and acceleration seemed good. Then a wheel dropped into a rut and the u/c came unglued. All fixed now and ready to try again, but the forecast is for a windy weekend so I'll probably wait a bit longer.

Hi Trevor

No not measured mine as yet but after flying on 4s the esc was hardly warm as was the lipo. On 4s anything over half throttle is way over scale speed but the extra grunt is on tap should you need it. Shame you had an issue but you will love it once you get it in the air, for a small model it has presence in the air.

Yes, full throttle must be a rare occasion, I'm sure everything is within safe limits. The other battery issue for me was my 4s packs were difficult to push right forward.

I'm pretty sure my take-off issue wasn't the model. The strip I was using has some quite severe bumps and divots. Luckily I also have access to a smoother strip so I will try there next.

My fleet also includes the Durafly Spitfire 24, T28 Trojan and DH Vampire. All fly really well, and are terrific value for money. Shame they are ignored by the magazine reviewers, but that may be because HK doesn't send them any to review.

I know what you mean about the tight fit of the battery Trevor mine are quite tight which is good in a way it stops it moving around. My other Durafly model is the Sea Vixen which is a great flyer. It would be nice if Durafly bought out a Hawker Hunter I'm sure that would sell well.