Fuel proof Paints For Models

seecomber

I wish to paint my Ready 2 in some suitable fuel proof paint but seem to be having trouble locating a paint for ABS. Enquiries on the net sugest that the best paint would be a two pack epoxy sprayed on but the only supplier of this kind of paint I can locate is KlassKote from Barron Paints and their minimum order ,postage etc will be about £50. I would rather not paint it than pay this!!.

I have access to professional paint spraying gear and safety equipment and wonder if 2 part acrylic paint as used on motor cars will do the job. My research sugests that automotive urethane paint will be suitable but I cannot locate this at paint distributors..Has anyone any knowledge of  2part acrylic paint as a model paint and whether it is fuel proof. Is it practical to use the model unpainted and disregard the ugly `seam' down the middle left by the moulding process? Once in the air it is invisible although I do not particularly like the `natural' colour even after the decals are added. I would like to exercise my artistic talents by painting the model if possible but do not want to spend excessively.

Advert

Hi Seecomber,

I have used 2 part acrylic paint from my local car parts shop. It was pretty expensive..You need paint, hardener, thinner, etc. also they are very toxic, so you need diving suit etc..........Finish is great, and foolproof

ernie

Thanks very much Ernie. I have access to all the professional spray gear at a relative's car-spray shop.Indeed he will do the job.I just wanted to be sure the paint was fuel proof and suitable for ABS.I have recently learned that ABS is severely affected by sunlight and painting is therforesenta. Many thanks.

• 2 months later...

Hiya Guy's,

Just stumbled across this thread because I'm about to paint the ABS(?) cowl of my Uno Wot and I was looking for some advice on which type of paint to use.

Can you not use Humbrol enamel or Tamiya acrylic type paints as we use in plastic aircraft modelling and then just apply a two part fuel proof

John.