Three position flap in Taranis

Eifion Herbert

I'm in need of the forum's wisdom again. Dusting off my Hurricane which I haven't flown since the Spektrum days. Got everything else set up but struggling with the flaps.

I've assigned a three position switch to an input called Flap, mixed that to an output on the RX, with 100 weight at both steps. Flap servos move when I flick the switch, but how to control how much?

At the moment with the switch up the flaps are up, switch in the middle flap servo moves 50% of travel, and switch down it moves 100% of travel. How to I arrange it so that I can set the amount of travel for the flaps at the middle and down position but retain the up position? If I just adjust the weight in the Inputs or Mixes screen it affects the up position as well - I understand why it does this, as the weight affects the output value, but I can't work out how to get the behaviour I want.

And while I'm here - I've been away from Taranis programming (or using) for a while (learning to fly full size). I see a lot of threads about some EU regs and reflashing recievers? Is there a simple two line summary of what this means to an ordinary user?

Eifion

Advert

Your Taranis will be carrying old operating firmware. Receivers you buy now will only work with newer firmware.

You have to make a choice to upgrade the Tx and all old Rx to the new firmware, or backdate firmware on new purchases. My two lines are done.....................

Eifion - you probably updated the Open TX firmware which is the bit that takes care of how the "front end" of the radio works - menus, mixes, stick movements, that sort of thing. The firmware that Dave mentioned is the firmware for the bit that actually does the transmitting. The two are updated independently of each other and in different ways. (Hmm, that's 4 lines!)

Posted by Dave Bran on 08/10/2015 20:20:12:

I do not use a switch for flap, my planes have the flap (and spoilers if poss) on a side slider.

I have done both (not on a Taranis), but do like having the flaps on a 3 position switch, with settings for flight, take off and landing, especially on a power plane. Spoilers always either on a stick or side slider.

You have the option to update the firmware on new receivers to the old (pre-2015 EU) to make them compatible with your existing radio module firmware.

As an alternative to a curve, use the sub-trim on the flap channel to set the position when the switch is in the centre, and the limits to set the end points.

Mike.

Thanks for the tip about the curve. In my mind curves are helicoptery things and hadn't even considered them to be a solution for the flaps. Quite painless to set up in companion, once I'd realised that as I have the flap channel reversed then the -100 side on the curve is the +100 side on the channel output monitor.

Still not sure what to do about the firmware. I have no idea how to update the internal module's firmware. Companion keeps telling me I'm up to date, and all my Rx's currently work so I'll leave it for now.

However, when my current build leaves the board and wants a new Rx I'll have to choose one way or another, though I might hold on as there's all the talk in the news about leaving the EU, guess then we'd be free to buy non-EU spec Rx's.