Balancing a brushless motor

IanR

I have just mounted an Eflite Power 46 to my Avistar Elite ARTF which uses a spring clip system to hold the main landing gear. When running up the motor, without the prop, at near full revs the spring clip system sets up a terrific buzzing noise.

This suggests to me that, at that particular rpm setting, the motor is vibrating quite a lot. Apart from the terrible noise this vibration must surely be detrimental to the motor.

There is lots written here, and elsewhere, about the need to balance props and spinners, of course but does anyone here routinely balance their motors?

Advert

Not a common problem but possibly a faulty motor ? If its a new motor back it for a replacemen especially if its a inrunner as possibly harder to ballance?  I fly mainly IC but dabble with electric ,edf. I had one motor that was noisy from new and vibrated badly . The bearings were really rubbish so were replaced and it now runns very smoothly. Worth sorting as the vibes as strong as you describe  will eventually damage the air frame as well as the motor.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 10/10/2015 10:23:07

Yes its a brand new motor, never been run before. However, I've had it for many months now and I'm not sure if the LMS would replace it.

There is a girt sticky label on the bell housing. I can't help thinking that the motor is made in the factory, possibly even dynamically balanced, and then the label gets stuck on. Surely this is not "a good thing"

Ian

How rigid is the motor mounting?

I had a similar problem in a model that seemed to pick up some "resonance" as the revs increased....up to the point where it threw the prop off at not far short of full revs which was a bit scary!!! Adding an extra ply layer to the firewall cured it by making the mounting much more rigid.

We all think electric motors are nice & smooth running & this is true but there are still considerable forces at work when running them up....

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 10/10/2015 13:27:58

phpnkqwsjam.jpgphpbqoqhzam.jpgphp2bfid9am.jpgI had camera vibration problems on my HK Bixler after prop balancing so I balanced the motor using an Iphone vibration app. Insulating tape & trial & error. It worked fine with no camera fuzz after.

Pics show after  & before balancing

Edited By vic evans 1 on 10/10/2015 19:35:57

Edited By vic evans 1 on 10/10/2015 19:38:49