Still agonising over which gasser to plump for

Adrian Smith 1

Just so I cover all bases on which engine to go for I thought I would ask the question about user friendliness of DLE 55RA or the 61. I note all the comments here about DLE fake issues, however, I would probably go to a UK outlet. The appeal about the 55RA is the rear exhaust set up. I am going to dispense with the muffler and use a canister/manifold system. I am still looking at Zenoah, but I have almost discounted that option due to weight issues. Any comments gratefully received! cheeky

Advert

Hi Adrian,

I have no experience with either. However, I am (as you know wink) looking for a 60cc petrol motor for the Edge. After reading lots of threads, I came to the conclusion that I would use the DLE61. Its newer (?), and I have read a few reports of vapour lock on the rear exhaust DLE's (not just the 55), so I thought I would eliminate the possibility. Unless, you need the narrow fitting of the RA? Power wise and user friendliness there's nothing between them - I think you'd be happy with either.

Cheers

Rich

ps I agree, for your application I would not use the Zenoah

Edited By Rich2 on 17/10/2015 12:08:16

Edited By Rich2 on 17/10/2015 12:09:31

Thanks for finding that Rich. I don't think I'll be landing like that, however! It was interesting earlier on in the posts there was mention of whether the ring was checked, cylinder wear inspection and possible reed block mods after first flights. Not sure what that's all about, but I wouldn't want to doing that so early on in its life. Interesting though. Sometimes I think I have too much time on my hands when I should out flying when the weather improves. The power to weight ratio of the engine looks up to scratch too.

I fly DLE, not because of any brand loyalty, just because they are cheap, reliable and spares (if ever required) can be sourced cheaply and quickly off the internet.

My DLE111 is now 5 years old and other than an ignition and carb rebuild kit has been faultless. Me, I would go for the DLE61, 10% larger capacity and I think it is lighter too. Easier to sort a header for the side exhaust engines.

If I had spare cash I wouldnt hesitate to give the DA60 or MVVS58 a go.

Posted by Adrian Smith 1 on 17/10/2015 13:44:11:

Thanks for finding that Rich. I don't think I'll be landing like that, however! It was interesting earlier on in the posts there was mention of whether the ring was checked, cylinder wear inspection and possible reed block mods after first flights. Not sure what that's all about, but I wouldn't want to doing that so early on in its life. Interesting though. Sometimes I think I have too much time on my hands when I should out flying when the weather improves. The power to weight ratio of the engine looks up to scratch too.

The mods seem to be a performance enhancement, not a necessity. I have read about the same mods on other DLE's. The guy who started that thread didn't bother. I agree on the flying, it gives me inspiration though wink

Try Google for the header/canisters **LINK**

With some searching I discovered that the bolt spacing on my Zenoah 23 is very similar to the DLE 30 so I ordered the flexible header (DLE 30) for my 23.

Weston UK do some quiet canisters if that is what you are after? Personally I do not have to worry too much about noise where I fly so I tend to use the std equip.

Edited By Rich2 on 17/10/2015 15:12:05

Noise isn't a real problem it's just for my personal satisfaction Rich, purely because I just don't like the bark you get with standard mufflers. I did fit a Weston canister to the MVVS I used to have a while ago but they are a bit heavy compared to the stainless steel variety. I suppose I am a bit spoilt with the Hatoris I have on my Inverza and Edge 540 60cc, but I want to avoid buying/importing them from the USA unless I have to as it was a bit of a hassle.

Yes Simon I like the look of the Zimmerman, KS and MTW gear so that may well be the route to take.