Flair Meteor

Martyn K

Not a proper classic F3A but I picked this up as a "tiny little bit started and I made a mess of it already" kit with new foam cores from a fellow UKCAA member and forumite. (I hasten to add that the UKCAA member and forumite was not responsible for the mess)

Its almost an ARTF so didn't warrant a full build blog, in fact I built/assembled it in the past 3 weeks while waiting for paint and glue to dry on the Glass Slipper. Funnily enough its actually finished just before the aforesaid glider

Anyway a few photos and comments

dscn2295.jpg

It came in a box. Much of the wood was very dry but superb quality. Just don't see balsa like this any more.

dscn2298.jpg

The first owner had glued in the plywood former and drilled it. It was cleaned up with a Dremel and a newish engine mount for an SC46 was installed. Of course, the holes didn't line up. There are no thrustlines mentioned so I built in a couple of degrees of Right thrust

dscn2300.jpg

Quality of the piano wire was amazing - proper BLACK piano wire - a sure sign of high carbon steel - not like the stringy shiny cheese we get nowadays. The wheels, mind you were awful and have been recycled.

dscn2311.jpg

Tailplane and fin went in quite easily. Modified to use Kevlar hinges that I now use on most models. The fus is Glass Fibre (in case you haven't realised and apart from a couple of epoxy marks is in perfect condition. Alignment was an absolute doddle.

dscn2313.jpg

Ailerons were cut out using a bandsaw with the wing jigged to keep everything square

dscn2312.jpg

and the u/c blocks inserted and glued using Gorilla Glue. (Used for all the foam joints).

dscn2328.jpg

The original ply/balsa wedge was used as a wing retainer, however, I replaced the 2x M4 plastic bolts with 1x M5 Steel.

dscn2330.jpg

Aileron hinging completed and edges with liteply

dscn2331.jpg

Getting the bellypan to fit was a challenge. I eventually did it by guesstimation, waisting the pan so that it fitted the curves. It really came out quite well

Covered it in a mix of manufacturers films

dscn2336.jpg

and it looks like this

dscn2337.jpg

Very fish shaped - fashionable for its day

dscn2338.jpg

And underneath a contracting scheme

dscn2339.jpg

It weighs this much - definitely not a lightweight - but still 1/2lb less than the instructions say

Maiden this weekend possibly. Should be a good winter hack.

Now...back to the Aurora

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 22/10/2015 13:53:07

Advert

sleek, I like it, 5lbs doesnt seem heavy at all for the size. Gusty day model, or long runway I reckon...it'll come in quick no doubt...

I'm finishing off an original hots build for a winter all weather tear around machine, and then onto the DSM Excelsior little one, but rather than go vintage HP61 or 45FSR...I'm gonna YS63s it on a pipe I reckon..

Nice era for modelling this, nice to see some people still keeping it going....got bored of ARTF Yaks, Sukhoi, and extras myself...

Thanks both..

Really quite pleased with it. Some trepidation using the check colour scheme as the last model that looked a bit like this only lasted 6 minutes crying

Not really sure on the age of the kit or design, but I think it must be about 35+ years old.. The slip inside had a picture of an early Puppeteer on it.

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

I had one of those with a Enya SS40 in. It was in deed fast and very good in windy conditions , but landings are a bit fast, so just be aware that you will need the space in land in.

Other wise a very nice plane to fly .

I wish i still had one ,

but i had to sell mine as the field we where using at the time was small and littered with goal posts.

Steve

Thanks all

Just going down with the dreaded lurgy so not sure I'll get out this weekend. Shame because Sunday looks pretty good.

Fast eh - that will be good practice for the Aurora. Magic isn't exactly slow either

Martyn

Edit: Just realised - I completed it on Back to the Future Day.. Quite appropriate really..

Edited By Martyn K on 23/10/2015 09:07:28

Hi

Nice finish you have on this.

Takes me back as I had one 25 (?) years ago, my first low winger. Ended up with a piped Irvine 46 up front - very fast and smooth (although a bit heavy, mine was about 6lbs), I was flying on a full size runway - lots of tarmac to spare and landings weren't a problem but it got sold when I started flying regularly off a small grass strip - it just needed too much space.

Seem to remember the section is quite a sharp LE, snaps & spins were good but had to watch the landing speed or it dropped a wing.

Maidened the Meteor yesterday. The CG is just marginally further forward than suggested so slightly safe.

Needed a little up-trim which was corrected on the 2nd flight.

Even on quite low EPA and moderate Expo, its way too sensitive in aileron and elevator so I'll be fitting longer Tornado aileron horns before I fly it again and moving the linkage up a notch on the elevator horn.

Great fun though and not excessively fast.

Three flights and three dead stick landings (all on the strip) - engine leaning out too much on ballistic verticals so may have a pressure problem somewhere as well.

Great fun, I am going to enjoy this...

Martyn