Anyone camping at Fairford?

Jonathan Brooks

Advert

Yes it is or RIAT . It is the largest military airshow in the world and the campsite is next to the apron! And has a bar with a late license. Doesnt get much better than that.

Checked out Vulcan to the Sky  website this avo  (or should that be this avro) and there is a chance that XH558 might makes it re-debut at Fairford. If not the theme is still 95 years of the RAF.

Greenham Common is now a bird sanctuary, the runway is torn up and it is a bit surreal, all the wild life etc with the bunkers as a back drop.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jonathan,

Yep I'll be there, but on a caravan site near Cirencester.

For the past 4yrs I've always flown into RIAT - 2yrs with British Airways from Heathrow (747-400) and the past 2yrs with Air Atlantique from Coventry (Twin Pioneer and DC3). The BA experience was unbelievable but true.

Even more unbelievable, the 747-400 I flew to RIAT, in one the first occassion, (approx 14mins to RIAT and 25mins back to Heathrow) was the very same aircraft, G - CIVX, as I flew to San Francisco in, a flight of some 11hrs. So I can easily claim that I have flown my shortest flight AND my longest flight, in the very same aircraft. How coincidental was !!

Just heard from an aviation forum that on the friday, between 1430hrs and 1445hrs, there will be a 90 aircraft flypast to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the RAF. My challenge is going to be to get that flypast on video.

The Vulcan should be there. It has just been to the Waddington show, but only had the paperwork through to fly in and then remain in the static park. Hopefully the final paperwork will be through in time for a blistering performance at RIAT. During its refurbishment it had alot of (several tons!!)  'dead' electrical equipment removed.!!

Just got to hope for good weather.

John.

The long range weather forecast is a bit grim  I maintain it will blow through by the weekend.

I used to take my video camera to shows but i find I watch the show through a lens and miss the show - i would rather buyt the video at a later date.

A friend flew in on Concorde in the late 90's - was saving to do the same right up until BA and Uncle Blair sold out.

Fingers crossed the Vulcan will have full permissions and i hadnt given a thought  to the fact that it will be lighter.

Enjoy the show

Just got back from camping at Fairford, hugely disappointed.

I dont understand their decision to cancel Sunday as well. Saturday was mainly dry and today is beautiful- it was drying very fast. Most of the overflow car parks are stoned throughout and it was only the entrance/exits (we checked on route between pubs) that were cut up.

It would have been a simple task to gravel those areas or use roll out mats - specific for the purpose - on the high traffic areas.

I think there is a bit more to cancelling sunday than the weather - and sorry Mr Health & Safety a little mud has never really posed a problem for most bi-peds.

ALSO, why did nothing, 0, take to the air yesterday? i'm sure the 1000's of hardcore FRIAT campers would have appreciated just one teeny tiny little F22 Raptor or  a Tornado for a few minutes.

And Duxford is cancelled as well.

I stink so I'm off to clean up.

• 2 weeks later...