Piper cub 53"

Steve Fisk

image.jpgthis is a plane that was given to me and it's been stored in the loft and ive only ever dreamt of flying it as I don't want it to end up like my over models in a bin bag after crashing, this was all about 15 years ago and I was at school then , I'm trying to get back in to it and im building the bambino but I would like to build a piper cub like this one but have it electric , it's 53" wing span does anyone know how they fly and if the kits are available cheers Steve

Advert

Steve

Are the numbers on the upper part of the wing 57858 by any chance? if so I am 99.9% sure who gave you that and I have flown it way back then, it is a crackin' flyer and not a kit but a plan which is still available by Jack Headley available at RCME plans service but also here - http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2467

It did have an OS 15 IIRC.

A little Gem.

Cheers

Nige.

Steve

It's Magic!!

The model was built by a dear friend, Dave Mason, he lived in Bishops Stortford, the numbers were Dave's SMAE number which you will see on the original Crescent Bullet and most of his models I have his Saturn Skydancer with the same.

Sadly Dave passed away about 5 years ago and I do miss him, but he was flying that Cub over at the Anglia field around that time you talk about as a few weeks later when I asked him where it was he said he had given it to a Lad!

I am glad it still is around although I think Dave would have liked it flown into oblivion by now I know and no I have not flown his models anywhere near enough! sad

If I were nearer I would love to help you maybe I can sort something out in the new year but you should get into a club and go from there, it is a nice little flyer and the 15 is plenty for it.

You will enjoy this model but I would get the help as you are trying to do, I can appreciate how you don't want to break it but it is a tough old thing.

All the best.

Nige.

P.S. I have the plans if you PM  me your address I will send them onto you. 

Edited By Nigel Dell on 26/10/2015 17:23:48

Yep Dave Mason ! He helped me out loads with trying to fly over a couple of years , every time we went out in his car he had to rock the grand montego as he called it backwards and forwards until the starter motor would catch , he helped me fly another plane of mine which he had to load the nose with more lead on than the local church (his words ) he said to my mum at the time the only reason the plane took off is with my wishing alone haha , getting that plan would be brilliant, now you know why I would like some help with it , I will pm you and find out if we can arrange for you to have a fly and maybe help me with it , it deserves to fly again , I still see his wife quite abit did you meet her ?

That sounds like Dave! He along with Brian Austin and John Woodley taught me to fly many moons before then, 1971 to be precise, seeing that Cub has brought back some great memories.

Yes I know Margaret, they were a lovely Family, we were at a gathering earlier in the year.

I would like to give you a hand with that it seems the whole thing has gone full circle, spookey!! smiley

image.jpgI remember him saying its a strong plane because he had a bad landing in it and it cartwheeled the only repair was to the wing tip seen in picture, another 2 planes he gave me but I was to scared to fly because I liked them was a massive vintage plane think it was called a bull dozer or a double dozer and the last was a 4 channel super sixty he said he wanted me to learn with ailerons , do you remember these models?