Batteries

Comper

Advert

My advice would be to treat them a separate batteries all the time until you parallel them together for flight.

Whether you balance charge a LiPo every time or not is up to you. I always do.

There are of course factory produced 3S2P batteries which have their individual cells 'paralleled' together so there is only one balance plug. However soldering the leads together of active LiPos is not recommended.

In the factory the leads are all soldered on before the cells are 'activated' so there is no risk of a accidental short circuit.

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 24/11/2015 14:58:51:

'Parallel charging' accessories are generalyl bad news as they never seem to actually work correctly. There are more complaints than enough about them on various fora (the 'correct' plural for 'forum' wink)

That's not my experience. I never do anything other than parallel charge; it's easier on your batteries and charging equipment, and once you understand the basics is extremely simple. The main thing to remember is safety - you are generally charging each pack at a lower rate, but there is a larger amount of lithium in close proximity when parallel charging, so if something does go wrong it could have bigger consequences. As a result make sure you use ammo boxes or good quality lipo bags, fit a fire alarm in your workshop, have an appropriate extinguisher or sand on hand to put out fires and charge on a fireproof surface (concrete floor etc). And of course it goes without saying don't leave your batteries alone whilst charging!

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 24/11/2015 14:33:23:

My advice would be to treat them a separate batteries all the time until you parallel them together for flight.

Whether you balance charge a LiPo every time or not is up to you. I always do.

There are of course factory produced 3S2P batteries which have their individual cells 'paralleled' together so there is only one balance plug. However soldering the leads together of active LiPos is not recommended.

In the factory the leads are all soldered on before the cells are 'activated' so there is no risk of a accidental short circuit.

+1 - completely agree.

Edited By MattyB on 24/11/2015 15:58:06

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 24/11/2015 14:58:51:

'Parallel charging' accessories are generalyl bad news as they never seem to actually work correctly. There are more complaints than enough about them on various fora (the 'correct' plural for 'forum' wink)

I admittedly did have one HK item (not the one shown) that shorted and "spat" at me - fortunately on the balance plug side, not the main leads so more of a scare than an incident. The scorch mark when I took it apart appeared to indicate a short on the circuit board on the balance side

Others all fine though and you don't have to use a board. You can easily make up a harness to suit your own requirements