ATTENTION BEGINNERS(General Chat)

Alex Hasell

Well so far so good i now have what looks like an areoplane as you can see it has been quite straight forward so far one or two minor problems but i think i have got those sorted now. Although the elevator control horns caused me some concern as when as instructed to do so in the manual i lined up the horn over the centre line the elevator hinge marked out and drilled the holes fitted the horn checked "up" movement fine! checked "down" movement less than half the "up" travel !!!  Why, because the horn now hits the rear bottom edge of the fuselage Great! so instead of repositioning the horn and have to bodge the holes i cut a channel from the fuselage to give the required clearance see the pic !! Anyway got to go and install the reciver and fuel tank 

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm106/lex7919/DSC00021.jpg

This is where i had problems as you can see this is the horn position as per the instructions note elevator is neutral now forgive me i dont think that 8mm of movent(down) is going to alot! where the bottom left of the horn as you see it touhed the fuselage, Channel was removed to over come this happily i now have full deflection in both directions !! Result

Looks good Alex, I wouldn't worry about the down elevator until she's flown, as long as you've got as much up as you need. Having said that you may be suprised as to what just a little elevator deflection does to the plane in flight.

Have you cut back the aileron torque rods ? - they look as if they're protruding too far - apologies if you've done this of course.  

David,

Thanks for that no i havent cut them back as yet all though it is on the to do list i also need to do the same for rudder and elevator and throttle im not quite sure why they are this long in the first place as it is just not needed imho that is there may well be a reason for it im not aware of.

I have a few ideas for your beginners articles David i will put them on as soon as i have time i did try already as you might of seen but it wasdeemed to long but Timbo has put me right with regards to this so shouldnt have  a problem next time.

Timbo could you leave me a PM about our previous discusion please maybe send those pics if you have time cheers mate.

Hi Alex

Got real confused with changes as I had just sent a tongue in cheek explanation about symetrical sections. Dont I have copies of this on the site amongst my profile etc.?

You also showed interest in my scratch building. I've posted some pics in gallery if I cant insert something here.

SC46 is absolutely great. Mine runs impecably. A - Star has now had seven flights. Full tank about 20 minutes a time. I've yet to solo but actual flying time is building up to about 75 minutes. Bill my tutor has yet to grab my tx but I did shove it at him when I lost my footing due to my arthritis.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/32263/Sky_Rider_2_004.jpg

Cheers. Alan.

Ahhh Allan,There you are my friend i thought i had lost you there as i haven't seen any posts from you in a while. Glad to hear your getting some flight  time i am hoping to do the same this weekend you sound like your doing ok if you havent got into trouble yet well done 

The conversation on  the wing sections i was quite enjoying that and as i said i have looked into the basics of flight, lift generation pressure, air flow and so ongood stuff and one particullary interesting fact the good old Wright brother's made there first flight on my son's birthday 17thDecember  how about that. If you would like to carry on that or any other conversation just leave a message here thats what this thread i for.

Your plane looks good and best of all still in one piece!! i have been looking briefly at some kits to build in near future and have a question i have noticed alot of the plans which are for i.c are stated to be for quite small engines i have a 52 another SC on its way (courtsey of anonimous one) and was hoping to use this could you recomend any kits or some where for me to research scratch building a bit more would br good.

Many regards, Alex

Hi Alex

Last answer first. Do you want another ARTF? or a scratch build? I dont think there are many kits for a follow up model, but perhaps the Wot 4 is one. It is actually a bit expensive compared with ARTF's like the Star or Boomer. However, I believe the wing is foam saving glueing all those ribs. But I know there are many nice plans available through theRCME Plans Service (01689 899200)

Speaking of which, I'm seeking help. From the above source I bought the plans for a D.H. 80a Puss Moth. A nostalgia trip and having nothing else specific on, I've started to build it. Designed by I. Robertson for Nexus Plan Service. It's 60 inch span and shows outline installation of an OS26FS. While some building instructions would be useful that is not my real problem. I have some good info  on users and owners but a complete lack of colour information. Having aquired a barbie type doll as a pilot, I would really like to finish it as either G-AAXM, 'The Leicestershire Fox' orG-ABDM, 'The Leicestershire Vixen',  belong to Sir W. Lindsay Everard, M.P. for Leicester, and flown by his personal pilot, Winifrid Spooner. Or, G-AAZV, 'Jason II' given to Amy Johnson by De Havillands.

I'll try and redo my lost item on symmetrical airfoils soon. I have an SC52 for the Sky Rider, but unrun as yet. And I have my half finished CAP21 waiting for a motor. Birthday this month!!!                                     

Alan.

Hi Alex

Yes. I found this one on the net and failing all else will try and get further details. I would think it is about the only Puss currently flying. Thanks for looking. I think I said no hurry. I've not flown since last time. Weather!! I am not the fast buider I used to be, but it looks already like I'm stockpiling. Did I tell you that I  have these other nostalgic urges to build (a) "Lil' Toot" from a plan by Dennis Tapsfield and (b) "Fairy Firefly V from CAP plans both of which I've had for more than 30 years. Amazingly, the laser cut kit for the Firefly is available and I think it might be my Christmas present from me to me. Quickly the story is that I built a C/L version in 1968 for the Nationals at RNAS Yoevilton. My own design and I had had works drawings etc. from Westland Aircraft. Photos were published in 'Aeromodeller' and the 1969 annual.

Also around1968 I designed an 'Ebenezer' type F/F model of the Curtiss P6E 'Hawk' fighter of the 30's which was published as a plan in 'Aeromodeller'. Now the the Toot is a homebuilt similar to the Spitts and one version built by Art Schroeder was decorated as the 'Snowowl' P6E. May years ago I found an American magazine with full details including cockpit interior etc., of this aircraft. So!!! And a glass fibre cowl is still available for the Tapsfield design.

Finally I have intended to mix these efforts one or two carefully chosen ARTF's, on my list at the moment are either Great Plane's 'Super Sportster' or World Models 'L.A. Racer' and then Hanger 9's 'Sundowner'. I'ts great to have these ambitions.

Alan.

As abeginner, I have just finshed building a rubber powered puss moth. I say built, but not assembled though. Can anyone tell me, hoew to cover, and dope strenghts to use. At my age I'm as fast as I was in picking up things.

Thanks a lot Reg Ball  ps I will  not pester you too much

Reg can you give any more detail on your puss moth please  Allan Dorall on hear is looking at that model now but needs some help do you have any original colour scemes for it at all sorry i cant help you with your querry its before my time im affraid

Regards Alex

Hi Alex

Congratulations!!!  I've still not flown again for various reasons but can't wait till I do.Now, as promised, the four S's. The Simple Science of Symmetrical Sections.

In the beginning were the Wright brothers who, by studying birds and the work of other less successful pioneers, developed the lifting airfoil section so vital to success. This was very thin, but worked well on slow flying aircraft as it still does on today's micro lights and some gliders. Put simply but not entirely correctly, these sections with a marked curve on the upper surface 'split' the air and ,in order to meet again at the trailing edge, the airflow over the upper surface has to travel faster than that below. This creates a partial vacuum over the wing which 'lifts' to fill it.

As the years went by, planes flew faster and wire bracing was eliminated by structures utilizing a much thicker section. A useful example is that known as 'Clark Y' and similar which is basically flat underneath. In the early days, both Free-flight and R/C models were happy with these sort of sections as the notion of flying inverted was impossible to conceive. But by 1940, an American named Nevilles "Jim" Walker invented control line flying making manoevres in the looping plane easily achievable. But consistent flying inverted was still almost impossible. Then a precocious youngster, (it might have been a very youthful George Aldrich) suggested or built a C/L model like a biplane with lower wing's section upside-down. More thought and the two wings were combine to form the fully symmetrical section.

But, you ask, as I once did, ' How does this create lift?'  Well, another aeronautical term is 'incidence', the best angle of a section's notional centre line relative to the rest of the aircraft .If a symmetrical section is tilted up at the front by a little it becomes a lifting section. However, fully aerobatic planes have neutral angles of incidence, so how....? Well, basically the pilot is constantly altering this angle, very subtly, with the elevators. And that, roughly, is SSSS.

Cheers for now. Alan.

To all Thanks alot guy's

Allan,

Thankyou for taking the time to do that again for me it's good stuff i have been researching principles of flight and also aviation history in generall and it's been quite enjoyable i have to say some of its a bit heavy but iam getting too a point where i am happy in my level of knowledge at present but you never stop learning do you so i will keep up with work.

How are you geting on with your puss moth allan? any luck finding the info that you are after. Ref your previous post the L.A Racer i would have to say i think it would be the best choice of the models you stated it a very good aeroplane as i have heard and i belive there wa a review in the mag some time ago although i have a feeling you already know that.

I have started my first scratch build now Allan i am for my first ever attempt i have chosen one of the free plans from the mag "The Miss Demeanor" i chose this as it has a very simple wing section and not a very large model so for a tottal novice builder i think its a good place to start and i will need the pratice as i want to build the Spit in next months issue to so i better get busy

just a thought i saw this the other day mate i don't know if it will be usefull or not to you but as soon as i saw it i remembered you please do let me know, so untill next time ta ta.