ATTENTION BEGINNERS(General Chat)

Alex Hasell

Edward,

just to back up what David is saying. Myself I learnt on ic - but I've seen lots of people sucessfully learn on electric models. With 2000mAh+ batteries you should have plenty of air time before the "urge" goes. In fact in my experience most beginners can't handle much more than about 10 mins in the air at first anyway as they find the level of concentration required quite demanding - so your electric model will be fine.

One thing to think about though. If you go down to the strip on a Saturday and its a nice day you're going to want to have more than just two flights - i.e. one on each battery. So to do that you need to be able to have a battery on charge, one ready to use and one in the model. So eventually you'll need a leisure type lead acid battery and a charger connected to it so you can recharge your batteries at the field. You don't need this right now - but you will soon after you start.

I am a committed ic man myself - but I think all this competition between electric and ic that a few people go in for is really silly. In a recent survey we ran on here showed that about a third of all flyers actually flew both!

A good idea would be to "get in" with one of the more experienced electric flyers down at your club - he'll steer you right. If you can get him as an instructor - well that even better!

Remember this forum is really good for questions - so if anything else is bothering you don't hesitate to ask - and there are some really knowledgable electric flyers on here as well - of which David is one! - Timbo. (one of the moderators) is another. These guys can answer pretty well any technical problem you will have. I think there is also a very good "sticky" on the forum all about starting off with electric power - you might want to dig that out.

Hope you get your plane up soon - this is smashing hobby and when you have that first flight I promise it will take a week to wipe the smile off your face! So stick with it and...

Happy landings!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother on 06/05/2010 15:44:47

Hi Edward and welcome aboard. I agree with all thats been said above, and would only add that to answer your question about converting it to IC - forget it. its not feasible, the lighter construction of a"E" designed model will not ake kindly to a heavy messy IC engine and fuel.
As for air time, I would also add that many LiPo batteries these days are both excellent VFM and also can be charged ( given the right charger and PSU ) in around 12 -15 minutes, so one does need to really buy / carry loads of packs around.

Hi it`s me again,can any body out there tell me if it is possible to make a Spektrum DX5 buddy lead work with a futaba 6EX as one of the clubs I belong to only use futaba radio`s and because I am a total beginner and my aircraft is setup with Spektrum AR500 receiver I am a little bit nervous as to what they may alter If I let them mess with It .    Thanks Eddie.

PS. I have not flown my aircraft yet as I am waiting for an engine mount which should have come with the engine.

• 4 weeks later...
Am trying to get my knowledge up to speed again as a recent returnee to flying.
I currently have two questions if someone could answer please:
1/ What are CROW brakes?
2/ Is Cyno glue a type of Super Glue?
   Is it better than Aliphatic Resin adhesive?
   Which is the adhesive of choice for balsa bashing?
Rick.

Crow braking is used on gliders, and is when the spoliers go up and the flaps come down....it helps slow the model for landing. Also know as butterfly braking sometimes.

Cyano ( acrylate) is the correct term for super glue yes.

Its better for some jobs - but worse for others. Its not flexible, gives no working time, and can dissolve some materials.
 many different glues are vailable, and the correct one should be used for the job in hand.
Balsa to balsa ?...... cyano is fine in most cases.

• 6 months later...
Hi Cad 
 These both refer to types of brushless motor.
An inrunner motor is very much like the style we remember from before brushless. There's an outer can and the rotor spins round inside, with a shaft sticking out one or both ends.

An outrunner has the wire coils on the inside, and the magnets are fixed inside a can that rotates outside the coils.

Hopefully this picture explains an outrunner better

Outrunners give more torque at lower speeds to in general, we use outrunners to power propellers and inrunners for ducted fans.

Edited By Chris Bott on 07/01/2011 22:40:54

An inrunner looks like a brushed motor, i.e the case stays still and only the shaft rotates when power is applied. They tendto be high Kv motors (fast spinning) and are used in Electric ducted Fans (EDFs) or to spin small propellors. They  can also be geared down to spin larger props.
In an outrunner, the shaft is fixed to the outer case, and the whole thing turns apart from one end (where the mount is). These are the more common motors as they provide higher torque at lower revs and are therefore more suitable for turning larger, more efficient propellors.
Of course, this is a generalisation and others may pop along to fill in more detail.

Hi Timbo.  Not been around for ages, in fact I think it's over a year since I was here!  You prob. forgot all about me!  lol  Am still building my Lanc and my current prob is finding figures for the crew about 1-1.5 inch tall.  I've tried everywhere and not had any luck.  I was going to use dolly pegs and make them, but my 1st attempt was a disaster! lol  If I can't find any, I'll have to have another go.  Any advice would be welcome.  cheers  j

thanks Chris and Eck, beginning to make sense. Currently having a go at making the Pixe as featured in the Dec mag. So far all the frame work is done and thinking about coverings having only used tissue and dope before. Made the rubber version 60 years ago but this still brings back great memories. thanks for your time it is appreciated

• 7 years later...

Hi All,

I looked for a suitable thread to post this. I hope this one is OK. I recently moved to Cheltenham from abroad.

I have a question. Do I have to fly in a club. Can I use suitable public places to fly. I would like to fly 10 size foam or balsa electric planes.

Tunca

Some people will disagree but I would join a club. It’s easier and safer and there is a lot of uncertainty at the moment with the imminent EASA rules...whatever they may be in the final draft! Try the BMFA club finder web page.

Let's consider the legal position first. It is not axiomatically illegal to fly in a public place - for example a park. However, it may be illegal for any particular public place. You would have to examine the situation on a case by case basis.

Now let us consider is it always wise to fly in a public place? The answer to that is very complex. First it depends on how big and fast the model is and how experienced a pilot you are. It might be quite safe for an accomplished pilot to fly a small foamie in a particular place - it may however be very dangerous for a beginner to attempt the same thing. Most beginners, in my experience, grossly underestimate how much sky even a small model can take up. Often their idea of a suitable flying field is very much too small. Also what is in the vicinity of the public place is very important. A country park is one thing, a city-centre park quite another.

Another factor to bear in mind is that if its a public place for you, it is for everyone else as well! There is absolutely nothing to stop any member of the public (and his dog, children etc.) from walking anywhere at all over "your" flying zone - and yes that includes the area you are just about land on! You have no control at all. I have seen members of the public deliberately stand in the flight path of a fast moving model so that they could get a photograph! The idea that this model could seriously injure them never seemed to cross their mind!

Now, if we compare this to a club situation. Well here we have a flying site that is well established, stood the test of time - it certainly should be big enough! You will have local flying rules that take into account any features of the site - worked out by experienced pilots to ensure you can fly safely there. Even if that club is on a public site - some are, mine is for example - there will be lease arrangements that give you controlled areas and operational guidelines about using "spotters" etc. All in all a much more relaxed a secure environment to enjoy and focus on your flying in - its got to be better hasn't it surely?

For sometime I was a commercial drone pilot as part of my job and frequently had to fly in very public places - believe me, it wasn't always a bundle of laughs coping with the presence of the great British public smile

After all that - if you do still decide to go it alone and fly in public then I very strongly advise and urge you to be fully insured - the financial consequences of an accident resulting in even minor injury and/or damage would bankrupt you!

BEB

Hi tunca

Prestbury park is your local club I believe. They operate several strips (or at least used to) one next to the racecourse and one the far side of bishops Cleeve.

Personally I am in the 'find a club' camp. The yearly cost is far from prohibitive in most cases and carries many benefits even if you 'only' fly small stuff you're amongst friendly forces.

• 2 years later...

Dear All. My son, 8, is very lean at making things and of course I would like to get him involved in this hobby. I myself used to make models in my youth but never became proficient at R/C flying, always a regret. We are in South London (Herne Hill) so local flying spaces I guess will be an issue(?). Clearly ideally we will need to find a club and helpful experts in time. For now during lockdown we are focusing on building models and have kicked off with the Vintage Model Co "Simple Cub", which looks great and has a build video, ideal for kids. Now to my question - I believe it would be helpful to purchase a flight simulator that he can use with the RadioLink Mode 2 transmitter we bought. The question is which flight sim package is best in helping complete novices learn to fly model planes. Realism and entertainment are clearly not so critical, rather the ability to help my son get as proficient as possible before he tries to fly an actual model. Does someone have any ideas on this? I am happy to spend money and I am not looking to get sonething for nothing, I want to buy what is best. Can anyone give me some advice?

Best wishes,

Nick