ATTENTION BEGINNERS(General Chat)

Alex Hasell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
hi everyone!,firstly let me introduce myself to all you new fellow flyers!.I am Scott,and i am very much a new comer to this hobby myself!.Now that i have got that bit out of the way with!,i wonder if you good chaps out there could help me please?.I have recently purchased myself my first model,which is obviously A TRAINER!.Now i've a couple of questions i wonder if anybody can help me with!.First question is this!: i've recently bought myself a Thunder Tiger Trainer mkIII,i've also purchased the radio equipment Spectrum Dx6i,and also the engine a Thunder Tiger GP42.Now the thing is with purchasing all these things seperately!,i am a bit unsure as to what type of servo's i require really!,are they standard one's?,or do they have to be a certain type to be compatable with the Spectrum radio system?.My second question is this!: what type of flight battery do i require to install into my trainer?.As you can see i'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment!.lol.Anyway i do hope anybody can advice me on this!..Hope to hear from anybody soon!,BYE ALL!.

Hello Scott and Ken
If you have (obviously) found this thread. You may see my name. Alex ( Hassel  are you still out there?
Scott, you do not say if the gear you've bought is new or s.h., it doesnt matter if it's in good condition. Standard servos such as Futaba 3003's or similar will be fine. About £8 each and there are many good ones much cheaper. Just check the connectors are compatible. Same with the battery. A Sanyo 4.7v Rx battery is about a tenner. Until now they have been nicads but in future they will have to NiMhs (nickel metal hydride ).These will be fine in a typical trainer like your Thunder Tiger combo. What about a charger? Do you have a Spektrum or are you using a multi charger, balancer, etc. Like a Sigma. Again perhaps a Futaba would work. Hope this helps. Alex come back, I've done a lot of building but not a lot of flying, except on the Sim, due to health and weather.
Alan

Hi Alan,yes i'm still here!,you will have to bare with me at the moment as its taking a little getting used to using this site!,but i'm sure that i'll get to grips with it!.Now where was i?,oh yeh!,u asked me if the gear is new or s/h didn't you?.Well i can tell you that its all new.The Tiger Trainer kit!,the Spectrum radio set,servo's,Thunder Tiger GP 42 engine etc.I have purchased Hitec standard servo's,will they do just as good job as the Futaba 3003?,i do hope so!.Now you mentioned about do i have a charger?,well no i don't!,because i don't know what charger i would need to be compatible with my Spectrum DX6i radio set!.I don't suppose you wouldn't mind helping me out on this?,i would be really gratefull if you could please!.Finally!,i've just another question for you!.What is the best thing to do when installing a model engine?.What i mean to say is!.Would it be better to bench run the engine first before mounting on to the model?.Or does it matter whether you fix it to the model and run a tank of fuel through it?.Once again i would appreciate any help and support on this!.I would just like to say thanks for the advice you have given me so far!,best regards!,Scott!.

Hi Scott. Your Hitec servos will be just great. Nowadays it is conventional practice to mount a new motor and run a tank through before the first flight, especially with something like a TT. It's what I do with my SC's. About the charger, you'd best try to buy a Spektrum one. Shouldn't be too difficult. All these popular combos use similar batteries and theoretically you could use Futaba, Sanwa, etc but Spektrum should be just as available. When you are ready to fly I hope you have a good mentor/teacher to tutor you. Cheers. Alan.

NO - wrong on two counts!!
1) You cannot use a Futaba charger on your Spektrum Tx - because the Spektrum uses opposite polarity to the Futaba sets. You could use such a charger...but you MUST reverse the polarity of the output jack.
2) The DX6i sets use only four cells in the Tx - whereas most if not all other Transmitters use eight cells. The DX6i is perfectly happy on either dry cells, or re-chargeables, but the chrger used must be set for 4 cells ( 4.8V )

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 16/09/2009 18:19:01

Hi Guys, i have a DX6i and stuffed one of these into the back of it

lipo battery (just click on this link)

As the DX6i starts to play up around 4.8v the dry cells run out pretty quick. this battery charges up to 8.5v and i have used it a dozen times with only 0.2 volts used.
Just take the two wires from the dry cell conectors solder a JST connector to them, bit of heat shrink and bob's your uncle.
No need to reduce output or anything.
Saves on batteries as well.

D

Not sure the DX6i is equippped to handle that high voltage TBH - its only designed around 4 dry cells which at best would be about 6.4V... more likely just 6V.
As for run time, I find the DX6i is remarkable on simple Vapex instants, as the current consumption is absolutely miniscule at around 80 ma.

The manual states that the alarm activates at just below 4.3V and in my testing, it was at 4.1V. The Tx in fact continues to work down to 3.5V, so not quite sure where you get the statement that it "plays up" at 4.8V.

I have video of the alarm activation and monitored levels etc, which was done as part of the modifications I did to the unit, over in the radio section of the forum.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 16/09/2009 20:13:02

Hi Timbo, yeah i read with great interest the thread you did for that and i stuck this battery on at the end of it. Honest i have had no problems in the time i have had this battery in. the display reads 8.5 volts when fully charged, no alarms nothing. just loads of hours flying without worrying about voltage drop.
I must point out at this time i did not have high quality batteries in my dx6i at the time so the drain rate was high and i found myself changing batteries quite often.
Three of my collegues at the club have also converted their DX6i's accordingly with no issues whatsoever.
Its a matter or choice and if the tranny is new then you may void your warranty by doing this so be carefull.

P.S as for the 4.8v thing just a number i heard someone at the club mention .
I never let mine get that low so never had the alarm thingy.

Edited By DAVID CLIFFORD on 16/09/2009 21:02:46

• 1 month later...
Hi timbo.  Remember me, Scuba and the Lanc.!  lol  Still listening and reading everything you write(i think!) I was looking at the discussion (9/08)on beginners section and the arguments for and against joining a club and what to fly as a beginner to train on.  I'm a little confused as some advocate a simulator and some slope trainers or trainer models I've never heard of.  So for me, what would you recommend as a cheap, easily rebuilt!, trainer, preferable with an elec motor, as you may remember I'm going that way with the Lanc.  The last plane I flew I can't even remember what it was but it looked a bit like a spitfire, had one engine and, I think, only a 2 or 3 channel set up!  I'm going to need a minimum of 6 or 7 channels on the Lanc which by any stretch of the imagination is a BIG  jump!  lol  So plenty of practice will be needed before I fly such a big model(by comparison)  I don't know of any slopes around near where I live but will have to hunt around and ask. There is a friendly farmer who will let me loose in one of his fields that is empty of animals etc. so room is not the problem there!   anything you can advise is welcome.  cheers  j

Hi Jon, and very sorry but dont remember you - youre not the Jon who lives down hayling island way are you
Anyway...
1) Simulators - they are fine for both a raw beginner to help teach orientation etc, and also many experienced pilots use them heavily to improve on aerobatics etc. I dont  believe there is any substitute for the "real thing" however......so  think of a Sim as an aid rather than a substitute. There are few free downloadable sims around ( including one for the slope ) Try a google for FMS - free, very basic, but will satisfy No1 abaove.
For the slope....SSS ( slope soaring simulator ) - its command line to run, but when actually going.... its pretty darn good for a freebie TBH.
2) For an almost unbreakable simple and cheap first model for the beginner, I always suggest the "V trainer" from flying wings .co.uk. ( they happen to be listed in "shopping partners" above on the left hand side box ) just click the link.
3) The Lanc  - depending on its design and features you may be surprised to find that you could get away with alot lesss than 7 channels - primary flight controls on simple version will only be four, and unless you want retracts, flaps, lighting etc, you will be fine with that.
Of course, as you say, you will need to ensure that you have plenty of stick time and feel competent with other models before graduating to the Lanc.
Incidentally, generally speaking.... big models are easier to fly than small ones...its just that people are a little more apprehensive due to the cost and time  that goes into the big uns!
Remind us again of the version you are hoping to build.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 20/10/2009 17:01:05

Hi, No I live near Mansfield, N Notts.  The last time we spoke it was about elecs for my Lanc.  yoiu speak to so many I didn't really expect you to remember.  I was saying how much techniques and materials had changed and i was treating myself as a beginner as it's around 50 years since i last built and flew a model!  The Lanc is a Chris Golds design from well over 10 years ago that I bought as a retirement project.  It has a 90" wingspan and a projected AUW of around 12lbs.  This is of course with the ic engines specified (0.20-0.21's X 4)  As I will be using elecs it will be slightly different.  I thought it would be a bit easier than a smaller plane due to the reasons you gave but the problem i am going to have is remembering to push the right stick or button for the action i wish to take!  lol  It doesn't call for retractable undercarroage but i am thinking I might fit that if I can afford the extra. (I'm on a pension now so although money is not too tight, "her indoors" is keeping a watchful eye on my spending....if you know what I mean!)  Also it does have flaps etc.  I have not bought any elecs yet but have been advised the 6 is the very minimum I will need.  Anyway, we'll see. Thanks for the info above.  Will copy it to my pc and read and re-readit till i have got it all!  cheers  j

Ah OK Jon.... I think I remember now
12lb AUW eh... thats a biggy then - I dont think it will be very much less on leccy as the batteries will weigh a bit, even if you lose a couple of pounds, thats still around 900 -1000 Watts of power you are going to need, so quite hefty. Anyway, when you are a bit further on in the planning stage, we will chip in with some advice. Yes I know what you mean about costs.... I too am on a pension...
all together now ahhhhhhh

I don't think it will be much different either.  for fuel think batteries!  That's the way I looked at it. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!  lol   let you know next year when I get there.  But I'm sure I'll need some more advice before then.  So a bit of grovelling goes a long way they say!  What a very helpful fellow you are.  That's enough for now, don't want to overdo it.  lol  cheers  j

Hi, downloaded the Microsoft Simulator but it was so slow as to be completely useless! The graphics were fine but the response time to controls was....well...I got fed up with wating for it!    My PC is usually pretty quick as I have a duo processor (2X2.2Ghz) 4Gb of RAM and a NVidia 8500Gt graphics card with 1Gb RAM.  I play all sorts of games on it without any probs. so I don't know why it's so slow with the simulator.   Can you recommend a particular one and I'll give it a try.  cheers  j

Anyone know if Chris Golds is still around and if so how to contact him.  I am unable to find a complete canopy set anywhere for his 90" Lanc!  Only one that seems to be available is the cockpit from Vortex and tyhey don't do anything else that will fit it.  cheers  j

FMS?  If it's rude forget it.  you know how ignorant I am with a ,lot of the current short forms!!  lol   Than ks for links.  will have a look tomorrow later.  I'm off to Bracknell to see my g/daughter at 5am so will have a look when I get back.  cheers j

• 6 months later...
Hi
I am an absolute beginner to model aircraft flying and on advice from different clubs I have bought a Seagull E-Pioneer from my local model shop in Lancaster after being told by one of the two clubs that I belong to "to get a large wing aircraft to learn to fly with" which I did.  The problem now is that in one of the clubs I was given information on electric and told that it was a lot cleaner to use, but the other club I was told by one of the more experienced members that I would need more time on the controls (sticks) to use a fuel engine because I would need to keep my aircraft in the air longer than a battery would last.  Supplied with the Seagull E-Pioneer was an Overlander thumper V2 (650 watt/Kv1450) T3536/5 also recommended was a Li-Po 2500   11.1v   3S1P battery from Overlander which I got on the recommendation of the model shop.  The aircraft is designed to use an electric motor, what I need to know now is how do I (or even can I) convert it to a fuel engine aircraft and if so what type of engine would I need.  I did invest in a second hand E sky simulator but unfortunately I cannot get it to work properly on my computor I did download the program but it didn't work as it should have.  Now having spent a lot of money and getting knowhere with little forthcoming information and going down to these clubs and standing there like a lemon wanting to fly but not being able to because I have nothing to fly, I am getting very disillusioned and depressed that I cannot get my aircraft in the sky. Hope someone can help me out of this dilema. Eddie 

Sounds like some uninformed comment has been heading your way Edward. Even 'experienced' flyers can make incorrect assumptions. Sure, i.c. powered trainers have been traditional but leccy powered models and trainers are a realistic alternative these days.  

The E-Pioneer is a fine trainer and designed for electric power for which a good endurance should be easily achieved. Build the trainer and get it down to the club so it can be checked and flown. 

The essential aspect will be having a radio compatible with an instructor so you can learn to fly using a buddy lead (the best way) - you may well have this aspect covered of course.

Don't hesitate to ask if you've got any other queries or concerns.