Too Windy - Go Slope Soaring

It seems that Steve's group spend more money on their models than our group does Pete ?

Whilst my wife was out today I spent some time on the wings of the bodged up Middle Phase I bought for £18 on e-bay about 6 or 7 years ago. I found the ailerons of different lengths and to cure some of the bodging required other bodging on my part and I almost came to the stage where I could possibly have dumped the whole plane when some super glue I had applied seized up one of the aileron push rods. However I have bought some white Solarfilm and servos for the plane so I must sort it all out. That said I have stripped off all the old black and red Solarfilm but then found that some of the hardwood veneer lifted from the wings when they were left in the cold damp atmosphere of my garage. Fortunately the wings are now in the house and I have resolved the lifting hardwood with RC Modellers glue.

Advert

Hi Mike. Some of the planes they fly on the slopes in Wales are impressive indeed - look like real jets without the noise. I did like the big Vulcan bomber I saw on a video from the Great Orme. The lift they get there I suspect anything could fly. I was hoping we could get on the cliffs last weekend but the wind direction was too far off to get any lift and going down into the mud is not an option. Glad your getting Phase, Phased in... Fingers crossed for this weekend... peter

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 15/02/2016 17:56:51:

It seems that Steve's group spend more money on their models than our group does Pete ?

Mike - A couple of our group love their F3F type machines and fly little else. I personally can't justify paying that kind of money, so most of my models are foamies but I do have a couple of glass models. Both second hand and cost me £150 & £80. Maybe one day I'll splash out on a new glass aerobat.

Posted by PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 15/02/2016 19:38:22:

Hi Mike. Some of the planes they fly on the slopes in Wales are impressive indeed - look like real jets without the noise. I did like the big Vulcan bomber I saw on a video from the Great Orme. The lift they get there I suspect anything could fly. I was hoping we could get on the cliffs last weekend but the wind direction was too far off to get any lift and going down into the mud is not an option. Glad your getting Phase, Phased in... Fingers crossed for this weekend... peter

A lot of PSS goes on up the Orme, where they do fly some very big, impressive models, whereas we don't do so much of that in S Wales, where F3F is the name of the game with some of the best racing slopes in Britain at the Bwlch, near Bridgend.

I'm not into the racing scene, it just isn't my thing, or my flying buddies, who just like to fly for fun and have a few laughs.

If you get the opportunity, both venues are worth a trip. The Orme gets all the publicity, but the Bwlch is equally as good. I'd be happy to be your guide to flying the Bwlch and there are full details with pictures on my blog HERE.

Hi Steve. Looked at your blog site and you have some wonderful slopes around you to fly and to make use of the winds for f3f. Easy to get hooked into I suspect. Topography here in Kent is on the whole gentle but if you want to travel a bit you can get some action. Thanks for the offer to show me an "unknown" around your slopes but I must gently decline your kind offer as my touring days are over - says the wife!😀.

I myself have foamies in the main, Wildthing, Zagi and a 2mtr Zagi and I love em as I have never seen one break - except a control horn! I would recommend anyone wanting to learn RC has a go slope soaring as its a great introduction to get to know how to fly and have a great time learning. I also found on the hill you meet great like minded people who will alway help and they will talk to you which is something lacking sometimes in other sports and pastimes... Regards Peter🛩

I began sloping 4 years ago when I couldn't fly power due to strong winds and a water logged runway. So I bought a cheap foamie model, did some slope venue research and headed up to the Bwlch, where I met a couple of very friendly locals who showed me the ropes and the best places to fly for the slope conditions. I haven't flown a powered model since, except for electric powered gliders. Since then our little group has expanded and the banter is as good as the flying.

I have a fair idea of the hills you guys fly as I make the trip to W Sussex occasionally to fly with my friends at slopesoaringsussex

Hi Steve. Guess you know Beachy Head and Firle- I've only ever flown them with a paraglider many years back now... In Kent locally we have gentle slopes which are good to get this group going. It's a way of flying in conditions we usually condem as being no good - as you pointed out when your flying sites blown out and waterlogged go slope soaring and that's what I did - got others on board as well to get us all to doing something during the winter when we would otherwise be doing nothing.

I have a number of WW1 planes and biplanes which I love to fly but because I can't fly due to bad weather, field waterlogged and grass too long (and can't cut it because the grasscutter would be digging trenches) slope soaring is the way forward and I posted the original post video to show others to have a go and use what the British weather throws at us - and enjoy it. I hope a few out there will give it a try as its great fun seeing what you can do without an engine - when you first launch that model into the air and it defies gravity and goes UP its the best sight in the world. If others are induced to try slope soaring my job is done. Regards Peter.

The TV was on yesterday afternoon and the Great Orme was featured on 'Escape to the Country'. It looked a superb place and one of the attractions shown was the cable operated tramway which can take you to the tops of the slopes. Unfortunately there were no model slope soarers shown and a representative of the National Trust suggested that the main flying attraction on the slopes was the Silver Studded Blue butterfly!

Looking forward to the 26 MPH South Westerlies on Sunday with the 42 MPH gusts at Castle Hill!

No flying for me this weekend crying. The forecast is for rain on Saturday and I have a family function to attend on Sunday.

So on Saturday I will be recovering the wings of my Thermal Instinct F5J, which is the final bit of my winter repair & build plan, having totally rebuilt two smashed up foamies, built another, and rebuilt the F5J wing.

My next project is the PSSA mass build, the A4 Skyhawk in Blue Angels colours. I'm just awaiting delivery of the kit now.

Next weekend I will be visiting family down in Cornwall, so I hope to have a couple of hours flying off St Agnes Head teeth 2. What a slope! yes

Hi Steve. Our group was lucky with the weather again - just a few spots on the camera lens is all we had. Our little group is growing and we were up to 8 Sunday. Loaned out my 2 planes to 3 other guys to try so they could have a go and get a bit of stick time and confidence - they all seemed to enjoy it.yes

I was so gutted that I messed up part of the video filming which would have looked soooo good (Me = Dope had the camera set on pause not record - embarrassed Do I get a prize for that folks?)

I will try to do it right next time and make you all smile...smiley Regards Peter

Hi Steve, Shame to see the end of such an impressive big wing! Was it a home built and - silly question but what failed? Wing joiner/spar?

Peter thanks for the video! We had some good - but bitterly cold.- flying off Holme Moss (Yorkshire)in the Easterly / North easterly wind this weekend.

Regards

H

Well the Welsh flying wing looked repairable to me and judging by the pilots reaction to the crash things were not as bad as they may have been, at least the plane did not finish at the bottom of the slope.

Good video again Pete, I still feel guilty that I did not turn up and hope none of you suffered from frostbite? I look forward to the next South Westerlies and Castle Hill unless you guys want to try somewhere else such as Colley Hill?

I did at least get some more done on the re-build of the e-bay Middle Phase disaster !