Too Windy - Go Slope Soaring

Advert

Hi Frank. It was good today as I've not been for some time because I have become "tied" to our club field but we had a new member who was keen enough to buy and make up a Zagi this week so we just had to try it out...

Dug out my three foamies and we set off - always fine if you wrap up for the event - when we got there we found we were not the only like minded nut cases as loads were already there.

I have to say we all enjoyed it and we will go again soon - I hope a few more in the club did out their gliders as we used to have around six of us who used to brave the cold during the winter to fly...

Did forget to cover up my air whistle! - posted the drawings in the Gadgets forum section. Regards Peter

Please don't forget some areas where you can fly can be dangerous - so please be aware - especially at cliff sites.

I posted this a long time back and although its a laugh the implications are clear to see - and if your unlucky to get stuck in the mud with the tide coming in - does not bear thinking about as this video link shows.

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 01/12/2015 15:55:05:

In S Wales we had driving rain through low cloud, (you couldn't see the top of the slope from the road below) and gale force winds. I didn't get any flying in! crying 2

Steve

A470soaring

I'd I've just got back from just over the border in Herefordshire, 25 -33 knot winds, Mini Blade (fully ballasted) was epic, plus over 10 DegC in December yes

Hi Frank. Seems crazy to talk about flying in such winds but that's soaring for you. I have to admit I do like summer at the club field, nice biplane, warm sun, long days...

But hell we are getting less and less of them each year so getting to the slope is the only other option when you get an itchy fingers to fly... My "other friends" and "relatives" think I have totally lost it...sad

Edited By PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 01/12/2015 17:26:13

Best I've flown in is 80mph gusting 89 on the lip of the SW bowl at the Orme last year. Couldnt fly the next day as it was just getting over the 100mph mark sad Incredible lift though - my little 3lb Me262 was really going some.

Strongest wind flown this year so far was for the maiden of the A10. Same location, 60mph gusting 64.

WOW. Just goes to show Andy when the wind is howling you can still get stick time... Best I have flown in was a force 6/7 and that was fun keeping the plane in view with my eyes watering... teeth I do know the Great Orme is one hell of a sight and I visited there years ago with the family and they were flying.... I hope others read your post Andy as it clearly shows not everything has to stop when the wind howls - and we are getting more days like it - just wrap up well get yourself an unbreakable (almost!) ZAGI as a starter for £40 and use coloured parcel tape to make your own colour scheme then go fly in a gale. Regards Peter

Mind you, the previous weekend was completely different. Although I had wind speeds of over 20 mph, we'd had our first snow of the winter and the temperature was down to 0°C, brrrrrrrrr.

I maidened my rebuilt Polecat EPP60 racer, a Ron Broughton designed and built model after I trashed it a few months ago.

So not even freezing temperatures and snow stop us hardy slopers.

The VR98 slope at the Bwlch in S Wales

vr98.jpg

The Polecat EPP60 Racer in the snow

polecat on vr98.jpg

And half buried in the snow upon landing. This model does land pretty darn fast! Whooosh!

landed polecat.jpg

Steve

A470soaring

Well this beats all - loads of you out there coming out of the woodwork - I ended up going to Detling with my friend Mike today (Wednesday) and we got there and there were four there already - nobody would be at our club field but I bet if its flyable there would always be some flyers here... I do not lie. Keep your comments coming and perhaps RCM&E might do a few reviews on the planes you use.

Come to think of it I don't know anyone who has broken a Zagi slope soaring yet! The most that I have seen broken is a control horn and the crashes could never be sustained by any other type of plane.

Ideal stick time for a beginner to model flying...

Hi Steve - I have seen a few Wildthings lose a nose but never yet seen a Zagi die because of a crash if it's been taped up right... I had a problem with a Wildthing years back and stuffed it in as I was in a power dive and the elevators just did not work and it went in. Used low rates which were fine for normal flying but when I dived hard on the slope and pulled up the elevators were flattened and it just went in but I didn't lost the nose - lucky. I was told if it happened again just give down elevator and I tried this some years ago and for some reason it did work where the up elevator would not. The mind boggles... Thanks for the pictures & input. Peter