Newbie advice

ian barnes 4

Hi Ian,

the guys are right - as things stand what you are proposing is against the law. And it doesn't matter I'm afraid that there is no one there - it in UK airspace, that's all that matters to the ANO.

BUT,...one of the strange features of the ANO is that CAA can grant an exemption to pretty well any article. Yes - they could allow you do this. This is how, say, dropping parachutists works - they have a special permission from the CAA.

To get such a permission you would have to apply to the CAA. Basically they would want to see an excellent safety case as you why this can be done safely. Factors they would take into account:

1. Are you qualified as a UAV pilot in some way? They will accept a BMFA Helicopter A-Cert for example. How experienced are you?

2. What failsafes and overrides would you have?

3. How detailled and comprehensive is your risk assessment?

4. Do you already hold a Permit for Aerial Work and clean accident record?

5. How tightly can you define the mission? - e.g. one particular place, at specific times etc.

6. How would you mount a watch for; boats, other aircraft etc?

7. What sort of airspace is the mission in?

If you are really keen, and you are prepared to spend the time putting the case together, you may get permission. But remember - this cost you money! Without such a permission I'm afraid you are open to prosecution under article 129 of the ANO. I'm sorry we can't be more positive.

BEB

Advert

I certainly don't blame you for asking, Ian (as one who has indulged in all forms of angling over the years, including beachcasting and boat fishing) for, on paper, your idea is worth contemplating. I know it has been done by carp anglers on inland waters. You're to be commended for asking on a well-established forum, toothumbs up

Unfortunately, life for we aeromodellers has become rather uncertain in recent years with authority having no choice but to increase regulation, due in no small part to the introduction of waves of multicopters ('drones' now sweeping the market and the ever growing terrorist threat.

It's fair to say that an overwhelming proportion of 'drone' purchasers are not aeromodellers and have no inclination towards our hobby of aeromodelling - they have just seen drones as a convenient way of changing their viewpoint for photography or video or perhaps to carry out such as task as you are considering. Even more unfortunately, their tendency to use drones in built-up areas and over public groups, where we aeromodellers would never consider flying, has resulted in authority grouping both activities together and wielding a big stick, with the damage extending way beyond the culprits and now threatening the activities of us all.

As a hobby, our organisations, clubs and individuals are doing their utmost to not only protect our interests but also to encourage those dabbling in 'drone flying to come into the fold and practise their hobby in a safe, lawful manner.

As a responsible group, the forum can only advise you of the practical as well as the legal problems your project faces, so it may be that you will have to consider an alternative means of delivering the bait.

Off the top of my head, I can only suggest hiring a boat - or a jetski and wetsuit......wink 2

Pete

Whether its actually safer or not, what you are proposing is illegal and no-one (I hope) on this forum is going to encourage you or assist you in breaking the law

Please understand the hobby as a whole is coming under increasing scrutiny thanks to the mis-use of Drones globally so its a bit of a sore point with the responsible legal flyers who have no wish to see additional legislation imoacting our hobby

I would suggest a more traditional method of bait casting - a catapult

Thanks again for all the advice guys smiley

Seems that it is not worth the hassle of trying to go about it legally, if indeed it can be done legally at all, & I am not prepared to risk getting into trouble just to catch a fish.

I just thought that the technology was out there to over come a situation & thought that I would take advantage of it surprise

Never mind crying