Stansted Airport

KingKade

I have a rant, unfortunantly for you guys, this is the only avaition forum i use regularly!!..... Feel free to agree or disagree!!

RANT START:

The new modernisation of stansteds airport building is a complete sham!

It was my favourite airport as it was so light, easy to navigate, you always knew where you were, and was quick and efficent to pass through. Now its complete 'insert word'

Apparently modernisation and improvement now means it has to have a very long protracted route snaking its way through duty free and purfume stalls at the end of which you emerge smelling like a hookers handbag, not knowing what way you face or where you are as the lowered false ceiling blocks your view of the primary structure and daylight above. Everything made worse than it sounds by tired travellers and families walking slow or sitting in a very narrow route due to there being an insufficient number of seating areas!

Complete hand over to additional money making! ( from what i.ll guess as new owners or operators) At the expense of all fare paying travellers! The worse effected is the frequent traveller or user of this airport! I.e. me!

the orginal designer MUST BE horrified.....

Quote from norman fosters own website...

Stansted , UK
1981 - 1991

Stansted Airport challenged all the rules of airport terminal design. It went back to the roots of modern air travel and literally stood conventional wisdom on its head. The earliest airport buildings were very simple: on one side there was a road and on the other a field where aircraft landed into the wind. The route from landside to airside involved a walk from your car through the terminal and out to your plane, which was always in view. Stansted attempted to recapture the clarity of those early airfields, together with some of the lost romance of air travel.

RANT END

Advert

As ED says airports are to be endured not enjoyed well in this country and most of Europe anyway. I used to go through Stansted a lot for work and it "was" ok. Have used it twice for family holidays since , first time was great but the last time it was heaving!

We used Luton this year, there are so few seats that you are practically forced into eating or drinking expensive coffee just to sit down.

Dallas/Fort Worth International , now that's an airport.

It's a real shame if Stansted has been ruined as you say. It's my local airport and although I haven't use it for a few years it's convenience and lack of hassle was a big plus for us.

Apparently, Southend airport has really got its act together but is not as close as Stansted - might give it a go though.

STN was always a good place to pass through and light and airey as you say, now you have the low cost carriers to thank for this situation! Period.

As the airport makes very little from these type of carriers in terms of landing fees or parking charges etc

Plus STN is now owned by Manchester Airport Group and they do not subsidise low cost operators the same as say LTN or SEN in the south east do.. they are looking for a return on the new investment since buying STN from BAA.. and this means the punter must be parted from his cash..

The low cost airlines were all smart enough (copying Ryanair) to get volume discounts for operating lots of flights and bringing the punters in.

The BIGGEST problem all airports with low cost carriers now face is how do they make their money? They just wanted punters through the doors.. where they could SPEND! but these "punters" want to be through ASAP and off.. even business users do not want unecessary dwell times between check in and off chocks..

These airports are now forced to make us walk miles around duty free, coffee shops etc and it is this "foot fall" that needs to be parted from our cash for the airports to break even or possibly, survive!

Lets face it, the boom in low cost travel is all about doing the travelling bit for less.. a weekend away or few days in Prague/Budapest/Palma etc etc is all about going THERE with your hard earned, NOT parting with it in rip off Britain on the airport car parking/extra luggage charges/duty free or Costa for £7.50 for a Cappucino and pastry...

It is this very cash you want to be taking with you to your foreign destination to enjoy the break and seek real value for money...

Check out the lack of seating too..!! That is a favourite introduced at the airports owned by Manchester Airport group over 7yrs ago; they removed most seating too keep the punters mobile and therefore more likely to SPEND!..

The low cost flights are fab if you take them for what they are and cut out any dwell time/spending in the airport.. it is rip off Britain after all...

TOP TIP.. whilst you check in - ask if the aircraft operating YOUR flight is there or running to time.. make a point of finding out and do not proceed through passport control until that aircraft is on the ground.. once youre in duty free.. you are knackered; no chairs and high prices... and on return from your trip, always get picked up from the departures area.. its always lovely and quiet with traffic moving on ASAP.... making your pick up stressfree

From a lifetime of "dragging my bag".. wink