Successful imitation of Funcub by Durafly Tundra

Josip Vrandecic -Mes

Advert

• 1 month later...

I've been able to fly my Tundra at last now the weather's behaving. The first flight was last week when it was still very windy but just about OK. It flew fine and I came in for a touch and go but misjudged just how strong the cross wind was and when I tried to correct the side drift it tripped up, cartwheeled and one of the wings parted company. Totally pilot error but fortunately the damage was quickly fixed at home because the plastic wing location had come unglued. The only actual break was where the wing strut attaches under the wing and a drop of Uhu Por fixed that, too. Not an auspicious start to my ownership but it had handled the wind easily until my dumbthumb landing too close to the edge of the grass strip.

I flew it again yesterday and had several good flights including a few touch and goes. The only flying negative is the somewhat violent zooming when the flaps are operated. In fact one YouTube test flight pilot showed that a complete loop could executed without touching the elevator!

I'm intending to fly again tomorrow and I've included a variable mix between flaps and elevator controlled by the S1 pot on my Taranis. The mix goes from 0 to 50% elevator depending on the flap position. Once I've established how much elevator mix is needed to neutralise the zoom I'll have a permanent value.

Other than that flight performance is great. Inverted is a bit tricky but I'm crap at sustained inverted anyway so it's probably me. Spins are good as are rolls and I also managed fairly neat stall turns which I often get horribly wrong. Lots of power, too. I had about 35% left in my 2200 3S LiPo after about 7 minutes, though I think that could be less without reasonable throttle management.

Geoff

Ordered one from Euro warehouse on Wednesday afternoon, it arrived at 8.30 a.m. on Friday. Assembled it today, one minor hitch, the port wing servo connecting pins refused to mate with the wing root pcb socket. Luckily the pcb can be prised gently away from the wing root with a couple of inches of spare lead allowing it to be drawn out and guided onto the connecting pins. The wing can then be slid home, pushing the pcb back into place. With eight very small screws to be removed and replaced every time the wings are taken off and replaced. I'm just glad it goes into the car fully assembled, as I shan't be dismantling it too often (unless it gets inadvertently dismanteld on the maiden tomorrow!).

Edited By Phil Brooks on 12/03/2016 22:08:51

Posted by Rich2 on 13/03/2016 09:09:01:

My kind of plane. Looks great value from the uk warehouse £110 but no stock - £140 from the euro warehouse surprise

I am very tempted ........

Edited By Rich2 on 13/03/2016 09:09:24

On Wednesday they were asking £140 and a few pennies from both UK and European warehouses, but UK had no stock. I've just checked and the price is now £130 plus pennies at both locations, but still none in stock in UK. To reset the "Once and only" special offer you get on your first visit if you stay on the page long enough, delete all cookies from your browser, call up the page again and wait.wink

I flew my mates one and wanted one, but like lothers have found it was out of stock in UK.

With a bit or servo delay and elevator corection I am sure the flap problem could be taimed.

If ordering from the Euro warehouse do you pay import duties as well.

Not something I have tried myself.

Bert

Posted by bert baker on 13/03/2016 09:30:10:

I flew my mates one and wanted one, but like lothers have found it was out of stock in UK.

With a bit or servo delay and elevator corection I am sure the flap problem could be taimed.

If ordering from the Euro warehouse do you pay import duties as well.

Not something I have tried myself.

Bert

As long as we remain in the EU there are no import duties payable from the Euro warehouse because it's in the Netherlands. Mine cost about £140 delivered from there.

I'm hoping to try out my adjustable flap mix later today so I'll let you know.

Geoff

I had a flap mix controlled by a pot on my Taranis from zero to 50% elevator and ended up with 50% which seemed to have a neutral effect on attitude. Interested to see if anyone else has done anything different. The sprung undercarriage absorbs the bounce of my less than expert steep landing approaches too - I need a bit of practice to get them right

Geoff