Turnigy motor thrust stand

Geoff S

Posted by Andy48 on 10/02/2016 19:35:00:
Posted by PatMc on 02/02/2016 10:48:01:
Posted by PatMc on 01/02/2016 23:23:18:

TBH I can't see any practical use for this gadget at all.
If you want to make comparisons between props you'd need to measure the speed of the air being moved at the same time as measuring the thrust & the power in would have to be identical, or nearly so, for the comparisons to be valid.
You can buy a lot of props for £60 if you just done the comparisons on a "suck it & see" basis.

The crossed out bit should be : ...compare the thrust at identical current or identical rpm (doesn't matter which) or compare current/rpm at identical thrust...

However this is still only a static comparison, when moving the "worse" prop might well make more use of the power.

To come back to the point, it seems you have answered it yourself. A simple test rig will enable you to do exactly what you suggest above:

compare thrust at identical current

compare thrust at identical rpm

compare current/rpm at identical thrust.

It can also be used in a moving situation too by testing outside on a windy day into the wind and against the wind.

Furthermore it can be used to test the whole combination. What difference do the different ESC settings make? How close does the motor come to the advertised power/kv. How do different motors compare, different ESCs.

It can also test the linearity of the thrust against the joystick position. Some of us are just curious. I got an interesting result on a limited test. It would be useful to see what others get.

Whether you spend time testing or flying you still have to buy the bits.

If testing for the sake of it floats your boat so be it, I prefer to use the bits that I've bought actually flying models.

Edited By PatMc on 10/02/2016 21:17:40