Super Rookie Build

As the forum is bristling with Ballerina build blogs, I thought I throw in a few photos, from time to time, of my efforts to build David Boddington's Super Rookie. I tend to take my time, that is, when SWIMBO gives leave of absence so don't expect a rapid build.

super-rookie-plan-1782[1].jpg

rookie1 (2).jpgI made up the longerons, uprights and diagonals first into frames built one on top of the other to ensue they were the same, then glued them to the fuselarge sides. This is not the recommended way to do it, but I felt happier doing it this way, and it worked out OK

rookie3.jpgThe Fuselarge Jig is home made as you can see. I had most of the materials to hand, so it only cost me the price of the MDF. The elevator snake and the closed loop cables for the rudder need to go in next, but for the moment I've put the package with the cable and fittings in such a safe place I can't find it. Grrrrr

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress made, but I have a question about the fuselarge bottom sheeting. From the photo below you can see from the nose back to an unspecified point the sheeting is 1.5mm ply. From there it's 1/16 Balsa. Any advice where that change should be?

rookie 4.jpg Also, the servo compartment is not very big as you can see. The servos on the drawing are 28mm long by 13mm wide roughly. Any recommendations as to which servo to use?

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 16/02/2016 13:43:22

The Enya 09 is a great little engine (I have 2 of the Mk IV version plus a completely worn out one) but is plain bearing & the version advertised in SW's is a non-throttled. IMO at £50 it's not good VFM but SW also have the SC12 which has twin ballrace & is throttled for £39.

OTOH a motor glider is one type of model where electric power really does make more sense than ic.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the thought PV, but I bought an Enya 09 Quicky in March with some Steve Webb gift vouchers. It was more than I would have normally have paid in hard cash, but it was the only Enya 09 they had.

Interestingly, S.W. is supposed to be the main Enya dealer in the U.K. but they have been out of stock of almost all the Enya range since well before Christmas. When I asked about their stock level and when they were expecting more in, they were very non committal.