Drilling holes for pushrods

Sean Murray-Smith

Putting pushrods such as Gold-N-Rods through the side of a fuselage used to be a pain. The drills are too short and if you do have a long drill you need a very steady hand. Of course, you can drill by hand, bit I've paid for the drill so I must use it.

I select a tube the same size as the pushrod outer, preferably aluminium as it's easy to cut and then find a steel rod that will fit through it. First fit the steel inside the tube and close the chuck around the steel. Start the hole at right angles to the fuselage holding the tube to steady the drilling, then, when the "drill" bites, lay the drill at the angle you want and penetrate the fuselage.

Using a small, triangular file I cut notches into the end of the aluminium tube, disconnect the steel, but leave it in the fuselage; attach the tube to the drill and slide it over the steel and drill the full size hole. This has made life so much easier for me.

Cheers

Sean Murray-Smith, Adelaide, South Australia

Advert

I use brass tube. It's harder to cut the "teeth" into, but it doesn't need anything inside it when gripping it in the drill chuck. I use a tube about 10mm diameter to cut holes through already-built wings etc. (including solid foam ones) for installation of extra wiring for lights. In the case of built-up wings I install a same-size plastic tube after I've drilled the hole.

A bit more on Abrafiles.

They are round with a plastic handle. They can be bent to get into awkward palces. They last for years. You can still find the Abrafile blades for fret saws which will cut in any direction.

I have had my 3/16" one for so many years, at least 20. Still does the job.

Edited By Peter Miller on 05/02/2016 08:57:40