I confess to serious error

Geoff S

I disagree!

I own a Sterling Stearman that the best information has it was built in around 1982 and she's at her best doing what she was built for - flying. Admittedly, she only comes out in suitable weather and I try to fly her sympathetically but the old girl looks even better in the air than on the ground, where the odd patches, stains and scuffs of her previous 34 years or so blend in atmospherically.

What a shame if she was tucked away in my loft gathering dust! While there's always the possibility that the next flight could be her last, each one is a pleasure and a testament to her builder and her designers.

My Panic, of obviously advanced years on the other hand, looks like it's suffered great abuse over its unknown and murky past - but is still capable of the most ridiculous gyrations and outrageous performance!

Edited By Martin Harris on 13/02/2016 11:45:20

Advert

I inherited a foam Wot 4 in 3 pieces after a crash. The owner was just about to jump on the pieces! The wings were also split, the motor shaft was snapped and he took the ESC for another plane.. Its remarkable what foam safe glue and liberal use of cross weave fibre glass tape will do. I let someone else have a go and it came back in 3 more pieces with split wings and I have also ploughed it in during a club timed comp but it mended well and flies as good as ever. In fact I have a new one but mainly use the older one. It owes me nothing and if it does finally give up the ghost I will still have the power train and servos.

I also agree that old models should be flown regardless as they give so much pleasure to others as well as to the pilot. I fly my 40 year old tiger moth whenever we get calm enough weather - tho it did only have its maiden flight when it was 38!!! (I built almost all of it in 1976 but let it fester in the garage until a couple of years ago) However I agree the sentiment, mine is on a pedestal in my mind.