Programming AR636A

Trevor Crook

Well I got my reply from Horizon Hobby regarding my AR636A

Hallo Michael
this serial number is from a closed AR636 and it can´t be registered or updated.
These kind of receivers are special programmed for one model and there is no way to change anything.

Reading a earlier Post someone had used a 1.43 sprmx.sax file on a second receiver and it worked so I suspect the locked to serial number issue is TX only

There was also early conversation on this link about a version 1.42 SPRMX.SAX file that was freely available and was again not linked to the serial number and unlocked AR363A's no problem

again if some kind soul has Ver 1.42 SPRMX.SAX or anyone who has 1.43 SPRMX.SAX and could email it to me I am happy to experiment with the receiver I have and if it fails I will happily report this on this Forum if it works I will be eternally grateful

kind regards

Mike

PM sent for your email address.

Some early ones were definitely 'locked' (like the infamous Sukhoi one) but I have a few more recently that I have been able to reprogram to my tastes despite the hobby shop telling me otherwise. Some are programmed using the ipad app and some with my PC (but not both???). If it isn't going to work - the failure is clear so you will know for sure, then try the other programming method before trying to 'update' to 1.42, and before quitting. Good luck! GENERALLY speaking I have had more respond to the ios APP than the PC programmer.

p.s. I have posted my learnings before in this thread and have not changed my views with further experience. Receiver 'updates' are not coded (up to 1.43 anyway!). Transmitter updates ARE and must be generated after registration and login.

Let us know, Bruce

Yep, you need a spare channel ON YOUR TRANSMITTER but not on the receiver.

I have same as you describe with all 6 output channels in use and the receiver can use all 6 output channels but needs 7 INPUT channels to also swap Flight Modes. You can use AUX 1,2 or 3 (if Gear is in use)

I have AETRGF from my DX9 doing their usual servo thing on output sockets 1-6 and AUX2 is FM switch using a 7th Tx channel. Works fine.

If you only have a 6 channel transmitter then Flight Modes not an option unless you can do without flaps.

• 3 months later...

I have picked up a AR636a running ver1.1 firmware, I am unable to register and the updater app sees the device as unknown. I have tried editing the serial in the .sax file to no avail. Odd thing is it is identical to my existing AR636A which registered without issue and is programmable. Any ideas?

I also have a AR636A Rx which is working fine but due to a mobile phone problem lost the software so can now no longer alter the settings on it. It would seem that Spektrum no longer offer the same software for Android phones which I have the lead for and as far as I can tell I have to fork out for a USB lead so I can programme this Rx, seems a backward step to me out at the field lugging a lappy about, or have I got the wrong end of the stick.

Any comments please?

Alec - Spektrum want you to rush out and buy their bluetooth adaptor:

"A Spektrum AS3X Bluetooth Adapter is required for Android device use. Part number SPMBT1000 available at your local hobby shop or HorizonHobby.com
The Audio Cable (SPMA3081) or the USB Cable (SPMA3065) No longer functions with the latest version of the Android compatible Spektrum AS3X Programmer App
"
(From the fine print under Android App on Google Play)

So, you are correct that it has been changed and you pick to option you like - Bluetooth Dongle or Lugga-Laptop. Both will cost money! Or ask around if anyone has an abandoned iphone/ipad you can use instead? I would guess that the iphone App will go the same way eventually (if not already - not checked recently, App info blurb doesn't say so).

Weird they would make this Android App change for " the next generation Spektrum™ AS3X receivers" when currently only the four usual old variants are listed as compatible...

Hi Bruce and 636a addicts.

I have had no luck trying to program my 636Aor 6335 at all, I use the sp3081 from my laptop and my iphone and all I get is "RX communication down " !!

I tried to register my RXes and it just comes up with Serial number not recognised ?? I am not sure which of all the numbers on the back of the rxes they want ?? I was trying to register them so that I could "update" them .

Has anybody got any clues or examples I can follow ??

and I am NOT a computer genious blush

cheers

When the Rx is connected, via the cable

To the computer, containing the App

The serial number is displayed

So, genuine Rx, with lead then displays the serial number

To update a receiver using the Spektrum Updater, follow the instructions below:

1. Download Spektrum Updater v1.2.4 and install it.
  2. Open Spektrum Updater from the Start Menu or Desktop.
  3. Plug the USB programmer cable (SPMA3065) into the computer and plug the cable into the BIND/PROG port of the receiver or the programming port on the transmitter.
  4. Power the transmitter or receiver.
  5. The serial number of the device should be displayed.
  6. Register the receiver on the Spektrum community site.
  7. On the community site, click “Download Updates” next to the receiver that you want to update.
  8. Click “Updates” under the update to download it.
  9. In Spektrum Updater, either click “Choose File…” and choose the downloaded file or drag and drop the downloaded file to the window.
  10. Click “Install.”

Edited By Denis Watkins on 11/06/2019 08:55:44

Thanks Denis .very easy to understand instructions .

My problem appears that I get no response from either of my two Rxes , both of which came out of genuine E flite Planes, from the laptop or I phone . it almost appears that my cable a 3081 is " Faulty " .but I doubt it really . I dont have the USB type cable yet !! Therefore I cannot get past "Start/go" "

cheers

From previous entry in this post Stu

NOTICE:

This software is intended for use in open stock AR636 receivers. Do not use in AR636A receivers that came installed in BNF or RTF aircraft or helicopters.

So the current update is no good to you, thus there is no point registering your receiver.