DB Tiger Moth 58"

Scott Lawson

Its been a while since Ive posted anything on a forum, been more of a reader than a contributor these days.

My lovely other half (she may read this) kindly bought me a DB Tiger Moth kit as a christmas gift, so I thought Id get round to chucking it together.

Ive built and flown a fair few models over the years, mainly small electrics and a few medium sized glow models. Im more firmly into electric these days as the glow fuel makes the car smell funny according to the better half.

Im planning to modify this model as I go along to add more scale features as the oppertunities arise, sprung undercarriage, sectioned tail and external control cables ect.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, Ill post some pics of my limited progress once I figure out how to do it from an ipad...

Scott.

Advert

I'll subscribe to this. I got mine ready to test fly back in December and just managed to find a day before New Year. I also have scale tail controls. It's still not 'finished', of course. There's always a bit more that could be done - like finishing off the simulated rib stitching and tail plane struts. Didn't bother with a sprung undercarriage and had no problem with any bounce on landing relying on the squishy tyres

db acdc 1.jpg

Geoff

Still haven't figured out the pics situation, I'll start using the album function and just use my iPad camera. I'm sure it used to be easier or maybe I'm just getting old!

Geoff, your Tiger is lovely, if mine turns out half as well Ill be really chuffed! Lots of detail, your hard work definitely shows. Is yours powered by electrons? If so how have you arranged the battery tray?

I've had a root through the kit, identifying parts and having a scan of the instructions. This is my first laser cut kit and I have to say, the quality of the component fit is excellent, and the balsa is of great quality. You don't see wood like that in the local model shop!

Scott.

Thanks, Scott. Mine's a very old kit I was given part complete and needed a lot of correction. I'm sure yours will build into a better Moth.

Yes, mine's electric. The battery (a 4000 mAH LiPo) slides into the fuel tank area through the hatch visible at the back of the cowl. It still needs a lot of lead but I'm hoping to move the CoG gradually further back and save weight. The DB Moth's CoG is quite a bit further forward than most other kits (and the full size). If I was building one from scratch, as you will be, I'd make arrangements to get the battery further forward into the cowl itself.

Mine weighs 3kg and flies fine at that but I've only had one 6 minute test flight which used about 55% of the battery.

Geoff

Yep Nic e model Geoff. I too am getting close to a DB kit, promised myself one for Xmas. But I put my foot down and. Knew that once it arrived I would have to start it. I have 2 unfinished models on the bench, And 5 models ( including those ) to maiden. I have an original design space walker to convert to electric. So until I have completed all, well most, of those I'm trying not to buy the kit!

Also I'm off to Oz shortly for a month, but I will follow Scotts build avidly. My build will be electric powered as well.

Kind regards, Glyn.

Finally figured out the pics situation, gave up in the end and started using the iPad instead of trying to upload pics from my slr.

Started framing up the fuselage, the parts fit is generally very good, only minor perma-grit massage needed in some areas. All straight so far which is rare for me!

The kit itself seems to be very good quality, some of the laser cutting hasn't quite cut all the way through but that's a very minor point. I haven't built from a DB kit before, so far I'm very impressed!

Scott

image.jpg

I've had a look at how I'd like to install the motor and battery. The motor won't be an issue, just need to make a stand off box for it when it arrives. I'd like to access the battery easily without wing removal. After looking at Terry's thread, I'll borrow his idea of using a box, with access from between the legs (steady now...) This way it is as far forward as possible to help minimise the nose weight needed.

I'll leave the box a loose fit for now so I can finalise its position when the time comes.

The battery box is 5mm oversize all round and has cooling holes to allow a bit of air. I don't actually have the pack yet, just going by the measurements on the website so that may come back to bite me!

Scott.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited By Scott Lawson on 17/02/2016 16:42:41

That's certainly the place for the battery assuming you can connect it easily to the esc. Mine angles down from the back of the firewall into the fuel tank compartment and is therefore a bit further back. You could also perhaps combine the battery box with the motor mounting.

One thing to watch out for is if you need to angle the battery to get it into its place. The leading edge of the bottom wing might make a straight entry difficult. There's space for the esc in the fuel tank space but for both cooling and wiring it might be a good idea to put a large hole in the firewall.

Looking good. Almost tempts me to buy another that I could build from scratch

Geoff

Thanks Geoff, I was thinking along the lines of tilting it and pushing it forward as far as allows when the motor and cowl is in place, just to make access better. I've left it loose for now so I can get the most out of it, the less lead the better!

I'm currently battling with the decking, never seem to have enough clamps...

No, it's very easy on the DB Moth.

2 3mm screws for each wing and a couple of self tappers to attach the undercarriage rear legs to the bottom wing. The interplane struts just hook on at the bottom and are secured at the top by sliding a 14 gauge rod (I use stainless bike spokes because I have a 100s of them) through eyes on the wing and struts. They're kept in place by a rubber band. It's as quick as it can be and gets round the main objection of biplanes very well.

It may take a little longer if you opt to fit flying and landing wires (shirring elastic is enough for effect) but not much.

Geoff

Managed an hour or so today, the ply decking has been fitted. It's a bit fiddly to trim but easy enough. I use as many clamps as I have, masking tape and anything else I can find to hold it in place till the glue dries.

The rudder and fin have been framed up, the cutting accuracy of the parts here is impressive, like a balsa jigsaw puzzle, dead easy!

Scott.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Scott,

Maybe a little too late input on how to access the battery. I did a DB 58" Tiger Moth a few years ago. I opened up the left side if the engine cowl to access the battery. Simple and easy and no need to even turn the plane upside down. The "extra" Deans connector is a safety plug for power to the ESC. Radio and servos are connected to a separate UBEC. Allows me to safely install the battery and fiddle with the servos without connecting the motor. There are some more pictures and data in my album.

ESC and UBECBattery trayCowl

Hi Norrland, nope, not too late. In fact I'll be trying as best as I can to replicate what you've done there, a very good way around the issue.

I had a look at the rest of the tiger pics you have in your album and I must say, some very neat building! I'll have to try extra hard from now on.

Scott.