4 max yetti

Eric Hartley

Hi

I've just completed the yeti flying wing with the 4 max set up and its great fun to fly. However my taped finish is very shoddy to look at (full of creases etc) and I am more at home covering balsa models in Oracover ets I was wondering if a glass cloth covering would be ok bearing in mind its a foam model and I don't think the weight should be an issue looking at the state of the present covering. Has anyone ever glassed a foamie?

Advert

Yes, I've done a couple after being dissatisfied with the appearance of tape. I used lightweight glass cloth and Delux Materials Eze Kote or Poly-C with good results. My DreamFlite Weasel covered this way is now 7 years old and has absorbed all the knocks over that period without complaint. There is a video 'how to' on the Delux link.

Edited By John Lee on 19/02/2016 17:28:37

I'm not a fan of glass over resilient foams like EPP or EPO - they tend to delaminate easily, and the finish crazes as it does so. Unless the rules of competition forbid it I prefer covering the foam with brown paper abd diluted PVA in old skool style (both sides of the wing at the same time to prevent warping), then cover with a shrink covering of your choice. Not super light, but highly resilient and looks great. The covering stocks like anything to the PVA'd paper too!