Flashing receiver firmware

Geoff S

I've just bought a new X6R receiver from T9 which has EU LBT firmware. My Taranis has the original firmware (ie non EU) in the RF section but the latest Opentx ver 2.1.7 for the user interface.

I'm trying to use this method for the update. I've made a suitable crossed over lead to connect from the back of the transmitter to the Smart Port on the X6R.

I've gone to the stored firmware on my SD card and selected to write X8R_150115.frk to the receiver. I get the 'Flash External Device' option and select it. I get the 'writing' message but no progress bar and then the 'Firmware Update error' message.

I did find I had to select an external RF mode in order to get any voltage on the Taranis module bay pins which seems reasonable. The receiver seems to switch on wth the LED flashing. I did try to bind afterwards but with no luck.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a stopper on the latest EU recivers to stop their being back dated to the non-EU firmware?

Geoff

Advert

Geoff, I followed this video (muted first) which seems to show the same method. I was actually flashing the latest EU LTB firmware to several Rxs & the internal Tx module.

The only problem I encountered was that I wasn't aware that .rar files need converting to .frk.
Once that was sorted I followed the video instructions, all Rxs & the TX took the new FW with no problems.
I didn't have to select the external RF mode.

Could it be that once the "Flash External Device" is selected & the Enter button pressed the module pins are switched on ?

You may be right on the last point, Pat. I tried again and watched the receiver and the LED did light for a about a second before I got the fail message. I have a horrible feeling that there's a block on back dating the firmware for some reason which means this receiver is useless to me and I'll have to continue buying new non-EU Frsky receivers from the HK main warehouse.

All this standard changing is the reason I delayed moving to 2.4 gHz in the first place. As it isn't a dedicated RC band I was afraid things would change. I was right

Geoff

Hmmm, mine's not a Taranis Plus. It's an early one but with the latest firmware except for the RF . I wonder if there are any h/w differences that make it not work?

Yes I used the SmartPort connections on the receiver. It's good to know that backdating isn't inhibited. I know someone with a Taranis Plus so I may go down that route.

Pat, if it won't bind, I can't use it at all. I suppose I could try it in D8 mode and see if it will.  Tried and it won't bind at all.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 25/02/2016 23:11:59

Geoff, my Taranis is one of the first batch in UK from T9.

BTW, I checked the external module pins & there's no voltage on them when the Tx is switched on or right up to the "Radio Setup" but it's not practical for me to be able to check at the point of actually flashing the FW.

Just had a look on the X8R info at T9 . This clearly states that you can revert to previous FW.

Do you still have the other Taranis ? If so it might be worthwhile flashing it to the latest LBT FW as a temporary measure to see if the Rx works with it. If it does try using it to revert the Rx.

OTOH maybe it's time to bite the bullet & update your Taranis & other Rxs to the latest EU LBT FW.
The main reasons I did it was in case FrSky replace this version FW with one that excludes D8, as was the case with the previous EU LBT FW, then possibly made future new X series Rxs incompatible with earlier FW. Thus closing the door on my D series Rxs.

What version number is your XJT LBT firmware, Pat? My 'other' Taranis is almost always used with either a DSM2 or FlySky plug in module for indoor models so it wouldn't be the end of the world if the internal RF module ended up not being all that useful

I'm just worried that some of my older receivers (mostly D, perhaps all?) won't work with the latest RF firmware. It's also a fag pulling receivers out of perfectly serviceable models just to satisfy yet another so-called upgrade.

Geoff

Geoff, have you tried flashing with a separate power supply for the Rx? I use Mike's instructions in the Sportflash.pdf attachment here and the only time I've had a problem was when I plugged the lead into the SBus connection instead of the SmartPort.

Word is that the latest LBT firmware works with D8 as long as you don't flag 'Eu' in the Companion setup options though I've not gone LBT yet myself so it is just hearsay.

Geoff: As far as I am aware, there is nothing technical stopping you flashing your receiver with non-EU firmware. It should just work. However, as PatMc has pointed out, the download actually provides you with a "rar" file, not a "frk" file.

A RAR file is a compressed container - a bit like a ZIP file - with the required FRK file inside it. You need to "unrar" it to get at the FRK file. They do this to prevent file corruption during the download. If the file is corrupted, you can't "unrar" it! You can get a free UNRAR command-line utility here: **LINK**

If you prefer a graphical interface, you can get a free "trial" version here: **LINK**

though I'm told P7Zip will also handle rar files (I don't use windows, so can't confirm that!).

Once you really have the FRK file, then you can try flashing again.

It is *just* possible that you have a faulty receiver. I've flashed many receivers now, but I did have one that refused to flash. It also refused to bind in D8 mode, which was the clue to its being faulty. T9 replaced it under warranty. However, that is the only receiver I've encountered like that, so check everything else first.

Bob is quite right in that provided you have not set the "EU" check-box when upgrading a Taranis via Companion, you should still have D8 mode available.

Setting the "EU" flag does not remove D8 from the RF firmware, it simply removes the option from the OpenTx menus!

--

Pete

Thanks for your help, gents. I'll continue experimenting.

Bob: I assume you disconnected the positive lead to the Taranis when you used a separate power supply for the receiver. I could try that and probably will.

Peter: I already have the .frk files on my SD card under 'firmwares'. They are:

X4R_150116.frk

X4R_eu_150121.frk

X8R_150115.frk

X8R__eu_150121.frk

for the receivers, and

XJT_141016.frk

XJT_eu_1501222.frk

XJT_eu_150413.frk

for the XJT rf module.

I haven't used any of the XJT files as I've left it as I bought the Taranis a couple of years ago. The one I'm trying to flash to my new X6R is X8R_150115.frk. I assume that the X8R and X6R firmware is the same.

I 'll try with my other Taranis - that's the one I had to repair after I blew up the charge circuit when it was new. Removing and refitting a surface mount mosfet was quite traumatic My 76 year old hands aren't as steady as they once were.

Geoff

From Frsky's download pages, these are the latest .FRKs:

XJT_LBT_build151223 integrates both D16_LBT mode and LR12 mode.
X8R_LBT_build151118 is for X8R and X6R receivers;
X4R_LBT_build151118 is for X4R and X4RSB with CPPM function already integrated;

Any earlier EU/LBT firmware is best deleted I believe. Things are confusing enough as it is.

Latest non-EU firmware:
X4R_150116.frk
X8R_150115.frk - does X6R too
XJT_141016.frk

Edited By Brian Spearing on 26/02/2016 12:18:48

Well, this is interesting in the Chinese sense (appropriately, I guess).

Just gone through the original procedure which failed on my main Taranis (the one I didn't damage by trying to charge with an intelligent charger) with the older one I repaired and it worked perfectly. I've now been able to bind to my new X6R flashed with non-EU firmware as above.

The fault, whatever it is, lies with my transmitter somewhere. I've recently had it to pieces to make a repair to the buttons so perhaps something isn't properly reconnected.

So, problem partly solved, I guess. At least it means I can buy receivers from a UK source (T9, probably), which I much prefer. Thanks everyone.

Geoff

Geoff, good to know that you've solved the main problem thumbs up but in case you’re still interested in my last FW changes :
I flashed the Taranis FW from XJT_eu_150122.frk to XJT_LBT_build151223.frk, I’m 99% certain that my Rxs were at X8R__eu_150121.frk but I definitely flashed them to X8R_LBT_build151118.frk.

After the last upgrade (?) I did check that D8 mode was on the Tx & that all my D series Rxs worked OK with it.

BTW, might I suggest that you do a quick check on the external module connection by trying it out with the DSM2 or FlySky modules before opening the Tx up.

I wonder if someone else, who has successfully flashed an Rx directly from the Taranis, could check if there’s any voltage on the external module pins when the Tx is switched on.

Edited By PatMc on 26/02/2016 15:44:56

The external module doesn't work with my FlySky plug-in so I guess the data line is faulty somewhere. It may be as as simple as a broken wire but it's not visible without removing boards in the back half of the case. As that carries the internal XJT module and antenna connection I'm reluctant to take it apart to repair something I won't be using except to flash receiver firmware, which I can do using my other transmitter.

On your final query, I'm 99% certain that there is no voltage on the module pins until you either enable the external module or start to flash a receiver. In my case there was no problem with the power supply connections, just the data line.

Geoff

There are 5 pins in the module bay. These are, from top to bottom:

1. PPM/PXX

2. XJT heartbeat (also used for wireless trainer input).

3. Switched power (controlled by the firmware).

4. Ground.

5. SPort.

The FlySky module will only use pins 1,3 and 4.

Flashing an external SPort device only uses pins 3, 4 and 5.

So if you can't get the FlySky module to work (does it work in the other Taranis?), and can't flash SPort devices, you either have a power/ground problem or more than one problem

Note that the SPort signal is common to the internal XJT module.

Mike.

Thanks, Mike.

Yes, I use the FlySky module regularly in winter for WLToys V911/V912 helicopters and a small indoor quad. I also use an Orange DSM2/DSMx module for a Vapor in the Taranis that worked to update my new X6R receiver earlier today.

Interesting to know just what the pins in the module bay are. It seems the fault may be more complicated than I thought. I'm fairly sure the power pins are OK because I get a permanent voltage on them if I enable the external module and when I tried to flash the receiver the LED flashed briefly. Plus it didn't flash when I powered the receiver separately (with the +ve lead removed in the connecting lead).

As I said, I'm reluctant to remove the PC boards fitted to the case back because they hold the internal RF module and the aerial connection and it's the transmitter I use most. However, I suspect the problem will nag at me until I'm inspired to have an attempt to solve it eventually.

Geoff

After what Mike wrote I just had to go over again what I tried yesterday.

First I tried my Orange DSM2 module but I had to transfer the Vapor eepe file from the other transmitter. The only problem was that the module wouldn't fit until I'd tweeked the pins slightly. After that it worked perfectly. I swapped to the FlySky module and this time it also worked!

So the big test was to retry flashing the the X6R - which now works, too!!!

The only thing I've done differently is bending the pins slightly to make the modules fit so perhaps there is a connection problem in the back somewhere. Either that or senility is more advanced than I realised.

Geoff

Geoff, it could be a dry joint on the PCB joint of one or more of the pins.
It was once quite a common problem with the similar long pins in 35Meg Futaba FF8s, exacerbated by having to remove the RF module to change Xtals. I once nearly lost a model due to this problem.
However the joints can quickly be checked without opening up the case, merely gently twang the end of each pin with a fingernail. If there's a dry joint the dull note is easily detected compared with the healthy ping from a good joint.

That thought had crossed my mind, too but the method of checking is new to me. As I will never use a module in anything other than small indoor models (and not even then with this transmitter) I'm not going to investigate further. It helps that I now know what to expect when flashing receiver firmware.

I had an old type Futaba FF7 with those long pins. I avoided taking the module out as much as possible because I was wary of the connection. However it was useful in that it was that transmitter I bought my first FrSky 2.4ghz module for and got me into the new era very cheaply

Geoff