irvine 36 nitro to petrol conversion

stephen canham

Advert

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 28/04/2016 20:25:39:

It certainly appears to start easy! Well done Stephen.

Thanks very much bob im hoping to have it flying the weekend if the weather is good, Ill also find out what the head speed is, it was around 10,000 but iv twicked it a little and ill be putting in a airplane shaft.

Stephen, that's a really good job and a fine video! I'm well impressed with the hand starting. Do you have an extra shim under the head to drop the compression a bit or is it the original as fitted for the glow? No worries about cooling with that heli head that's for sure. 10K rpm is a great start. What size prop? Can't wait to hear how it goes in the air but the weather doesn't look too good this weekend. Best of luck anyway.

Posted by Philflyer on 28/04/2016 22:42:49:

Stephen, that's a really good job and a fine video! I'm well impressed with the hand starting. Do you have an extra shim under the head to drop the compression a bit or is it the original as fitted for the glow? No worries about cooling with that heli head that's for sure. 10K rpm is a great start. What size prop? Can't wait to hear how it goes in the air but the weather doesn't look too good this weekend. Best of luck anyway.

Thanks for the heads up, As for the shim 1st we tried 2 shims and it seemed very low on compression, So we also tried without any shims and very good comression, So went back to just the 1 shim which is on it now, Im thinking when its all tuned in we should be getting around 12.000 rmp, As for the prop im using a 11x8. Also going for a 15-1 mix just to see how it runs.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 29/04/2016 10:05:31:

10k on an 11*8 from a .36 engine is pretty good for a start point.

Thanks Bob, Still a little bit to do just waiting for a longer shaft to arrive, Then reset the TDC, And try it with a 15-1 mix, And see how things run.Hope to put a longer video on aswell.

Your innovation streak has served you well so far Stephen, and you are to be commended on your hard fought for success. The .36 would normally run on a 10 x 6 on glow, and it would not be a waste of time to unleash the revs on a lesser pitch prop. I bet you get your 12000 revs on a 10 x 6 - 11 x 6 prop. Best of luck

Posted by Denis Watkins on 29/04/2016 10:51:06:

Your innovation streak has served you well so far Stephen, and you are to be commended on your hard fought for success. The .36 would normally run on a 10 x 6 on glow, and it would not be a waste of time to unleash the revs on a lesser pitch prop. I bet you get your 12000 revs on a 10 x 6 - 11 x 6 prop. Best of luck

Denis thank you very much, It feels good to have some positive feed back, I will be sure to let you know what the out come is when its all done and a longer video, Thanks again.

Posted by onetenor on 30/04/2016 22:40:54:

Try and contact Gear Best and Bang Good as I have seen the 1 cc car/ boat model one on one of those sites Best I can suggest at present or do a Google search

Thanks onetenor, Think i will take the engine back too the shop and get something else, P.s i did look on google the only place i could find was for wholesale only.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

since you lot got me interested in petrol conversion , I have had the yearning , At a swap meet just before Christmas I picked up a Rexel spark box, , I made up some Hall sensor pick ups , 99p for 5 from ebay , and then found an old battered ST91 , so drilled a few holes, popped in a magnet , bolted on the sensor , found a spark plug from the good old days ,( 1967)and gave it a go ,and it runs , Needed to advance the timing to get it really howling , but job done ,

I will go and get a photo!